Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Semi for trap

(Schuylkill County)

Default Semi for trap

I found a nice Rem. 11-87 trap that fits my budget nicely. However I was under the impression that if you use a semi for trap and your empty shell hits another shooter you will be penalized or disqualified. Should this not be the case I'm going to purchase this gun tomorrow. BTW how is $500 for a Rem. 11-87 trap, it seems to be in very nice condition. The only thing on the gun that shows age is the recoil pad, and it comes with 3 choke tubes.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Semi for trap

they make a shell catcher for them so the shell does not leave the gun - they're cheap and can be ordered.

(Schuylkill County)

I see, what about doubles then?

(Northampton County)

http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/products.htm

Above is the link for the Shell Catcher I use. It's nice, so you can collect your empties and not have to bend over I have noticed it does mark up the receiver a little and I was annoyed with that, but it’s always there, so I try to ignore it. But you are correct; it has to come off for Doubles. Remington has thought about that too, and if this Shotgun has a trap barrel it will have a small 1/8” “nub” about 1 inch forward in the top of the ejection port. My 30 inch “Target” barrel has this nub, and its purpose is to kick the shell downward with the intent of staying clear of your neighbor. It works fairly well, and I think it should prevent you from really annoying your fellow shooters.

If you go with a friend, make him stand to your right, and bean him with empties I think the little nub will keep most shells on the ground before your hitting your neighbor. I am not up on the rules, but edict does dictate that you keep your shells to your self. I have been hit with a few, but I am never shooting in strict competition, so if you are shooting for fun on weekends, have at it. I’ll have to try and remember to take my catcher off and see how far they go.

I also have a 26 inch “Target” barrel for shooting skeet. This barrel does not have the above mentioned nub and the shells go about 7-10 feet to my right.

JD

(Northampton County)

BTW, I think 500 is a good deal for a very clean gun.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I found a nice Rem. 11-87 trap that fits my budget nicely. However I was under the impression that if you use a semi for trap and your empty shell hits another shooter you will be penalized or disqualified. Should this not be the case I'm going to purchase this gun tomorrow. BTW how is $500 for a Rem. 11-87 trap, it seems to be in very nice condition. The only thing on the gun that shows age is the recoil pad, and it comes with 3 choke tubes.
    I would be interested in knowing where this "rule" of a shell touching a shooter comes from, I have never seen such a rule. Can you show it to us?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Schuylkill County)

A good friend of mine said that he thinks that there was a rule like that, or at least it made the other shooters cranky.
    After much searching last night I did find something similar in the ATA rule book I'll post a link later, I gotta get going to work.

(Beaver County)

I don't think it's a rule, but it's more about courtesey. I've shot trap with semi's before and had one guy walk off the field because a shell flew in front of him. They said I should use a gumband or a shell catcher as others mentioned. I tried the gumband and it sucked. I never did look for a shell catcher. Now I shoot with guys that don't mind a shell flying out.

(Allegheny County)

No rule that I know of. Trap shooters can be cranky bastards. As Roland said it's a courtesy thing. Many, if not most, trap shooters that compete are heavy concentrators (what the sport is all about) and a shell hitting them or flying past them can break that concentration. God help you if your shell dings a fellow shooters $10,000 Perazzi!
    Toujours prêt

(York County)

What you really have to witness, is someone with a Semi-Auto Trap Gun for
    less than $700.00, Wup the fanny of a $10,000.00 Perazzi Owner, Priceless.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"