Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router

(Luzerne County)

Default Router

Came home from work yesterday to find my net work was down. I managed to get my laptop onto the net. The wife's computer kept coming up weak connectivity. After fighting with it most of the day I decided to install another router I had picked up a while ago. After fighting with the install program and a call to comcast, all is well again. Guess they don't last forever.

What I had in mind was a wireless to wireless setup. This way I could surf the net in my reloading room which is in another house that I own.

Has anyone else tried this?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(York County)

Default Re: Router

I have 6 computers in my house. Only one is connected to the cable modem, and the rest, plus the Wii are getting online through a wireless router. I seem to get about 1 1/2 to 2 years out of a router before I have to replace it. As for the wireless to wireless setup, is that like using a wireless signal extender?
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    I have 6 computers in my house. Only one is connected to the cable modem, and the rest, plus the Wii are getting online through a wireless router. I seem to get about 1 1/2 to 2 years out of a router before I have to replace it. As for the wireless to wireless setup, is that like using a wireless signal extender?
    The last router must have a good 5 or 6 years on it. I have 4 computers plus the kids game systems. That is the theory on the wireless to wireless. I was told by the co. It guy that it should work. I haven't tried to implement it yet.

(Lebanon County)

"i'll be back later, going over to the reloading house, probably stop over at the gun house too. want me to swing by the kitchen house on the way home?"
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    "i'll be back later, going over to the reloading house, probably stop over at the gun house too. want me to swing by the kitchen house on the way home?"
    LOL. I have a small house three sons. Three monster dogs and three cats, an iguana and a turtle. The house behind mine came on the market. its basically in my back yard. So we bought it. Another small house. On a 50 by 50 lot. Fixed it up a bit. Rent it out except one room with a separate entrance.

I wanted to keep the whole house as a work shop . storage shed. The wife won out on that argument. the rent helps support my gun habit.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Came home from work yesterday to find my net work was down. I managed to get my laptop onto the net. The wife's computer kept coming up weak connectivity. After fighting with it most of the day I decided to install another router I had picked up a while ago. After fighting with the install program and a call to comcast, all is well again. Guess they don't last forever.

What I had in mind was a wireless to wireless setup. This way I could surf the net in my reloading room which is in another house that I own.

check before you get the router that it can handle the distance between homes and that it has a security feature to block others from nonpermitted access to your network.
    "Yell it from that Mountain High 'I was Born Free' " ~ Kid Rock

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    They definitely don't.

Depends on the situation. From your description so far I presume that the reloading room is too far away or blocked by too many solid objects (like walls) to have decent signal strength.

If there is a chance to get decent signal strength in another room of that house, where the reloading room is, then placing a "repeater" into that place may do the trick. A repeater simply picks up the packets and retransmits them. It eats some bandwidth, but for regular web access you won't notice much. Most wireless access points (not routers) can be put into repeater mode. I have one (although not using it as a repeater at this time) and they usually cost less than $100.

Placing the primary router into a better location from where the reloading room has better "line of sight" (the least solid matter in between) may also work. As a shooter you must be able to understand the concept. 2 dry walls taken perpendicular are easier to penetrate than one floor at a shallow angle. Think line of sight and try to have the best "shot" from the router to the reloading room. Radio waves also bounce off and then start interfering with each other, so it isn't that clean cut. But it's a good rule of thumb to start from.

If on the other hand you have no way to get good signal strength because the houses are simply too far apart or there are obstacles in between, a wireless bridge with directional antenna's may (or may not) do the job. Unfortunately this is a setup that requires serious networking knowledge because now we're talking using two access points with directional antenna's plus another router/AP bridging between two separate networks or to another access point on the same network. That's several hundred dollars in equipment, which IMHO is way too much to just give it a try.

That Pittston, is that the one near Wilkes-Barre? That would be a two hour ride from here. I could plan on stopping by some Saturday with a bit of equipment (AP, router, laptop) and assess the situation first hand.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

I use a Belkin N wireless router, good for about 1500 feet. I've only used it about 150 away in the garage a few times.

Can be pasworded so that only the authorized people can log on, keeps the cyber trolls and band vermin off my network. Pretty easy to set up as well, hell I did it
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Jefferson County)

Going on 4-5 years or so on this Linksys WRT54GS. But I do have a small kernel Linux OS flashed over it instead of the OEM firmware.

(Greene County)

Man...its so much simpler than that.

Think tin can WiFi antenna!
    http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast