Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Carrying during work travel

My questions are aimed at the people that have to fly for work. Since I started carrying every time I travel domestically for work to states that I have reciprocity with I think about taking my sidearm with me. I am versed in the flying with a firearm aspect of the travel that's not the issue. My question is more about the off time in the evenings when traveling if I were to have to defend myself. Could my company terminate me? Where's the line between my rights and my employers rights? The main reason I ask is my next trip is up to Barrow AK and I'm more worried about the four legged problems then the two legged kind!
    Last edited by DennisPA; July 31st, 2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: SP error
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Carrying during work travel

I traveled for work for many years (it's nice to be off the road now). If I was legal where I was going - a firearm came with me, road or air - although I've avoided Amtrak for the past couple years

I was usually able to find a range and get in some practice while traveling. Although I do not recommend shooting cowboy loads out of a scandium j-frame .38.
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisPA View Post
    My questions are aimed at the people that have to fly for work. Since I started carrying every time I travel domestically for work to states that I have reciprocity with I think about taking my sidearm with me. I am versed in the flying with a firearm aspect of the travel that's not the issue. My question is more about the off time in the evenings when traveling if I were to have to defend myself. Could my company terminate me? Where's the line between my rights and my employers rights? The main reason I ask is my next trip is up to Barrow AK and I'm more worried about the four legged problems then the two legged kind!
    If you're employed in Pa, by a Pa employer they may legally terminate you for any reason, or no reason at all.

(Bucks County)

if you find yourself in a situation where you need to defend yourself with a firearm the last thing you need to worry about is IF your job will fire you. what are your choices???? allow some thug to rob and/or murder you because you're concerned with getting fired!!!!! if you get fired at least you're alive to go and find another job instead of dead. to answer your question i think you'd probably get fired unless your boss is gun friendly. when traveling on company business most companies consider you their representative both on and off the clock. if you went out and got drunk and made a fool of yourself and it got back to your company you'd probably be fired even if you were drunk at midnight and had been off the clock for several hours. unless you're under contract your company ca fire you for just about any reason.
    Last edited by wellcraft; July 31st, 2011 at 10:13 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Exactly. Expect to be fired. Expect to live.