Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Mauser Advice.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Mauser Advice.

I am very new to World War Era firearms. I have an appreciation for historic military firearms, ordinance, etc....
    I would very much like to start adding another level of firearms to my collection.

I am asking for advice about a particular rifle that has presented itself to me.
    One of my employees has a neighbor, who is selling the contents and the home of his deceased father. One of the items that he thought I would be interested in, is an old rifle.

I have not seen it yet, but I was given some information on it.

Markings on the bolt action read:

Mauser Modelo
    Argentino 1909

Deutsche Waffen-UND
    Munitionsfabriken Berlin

It is chambered in 7.65 Argentine
    And I was told that it is in perfect firing order, and the stock may have been refinished and the hardware is in beautiful polished condition (no rust or pitting).
    Again I have not seen it yet, but I may be going to look at it tonight or tomorrow. The man wants $200 for it. Now if it is in the shape that I am assuming, then I am sure it is worth it.

My question is: When I go to see it, what are some things that I should look for, to make sure it is worth the buy?

Thanks in advance,
    Ronnie
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 25th, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Chester County)

Default Re: Mauser Advice.

I would seriously register here and ask them: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/. Old Milsurp is ALL they do there.

(Lancaster County)

You could also try http://forums.gunboards.com/ Scroll down to the Military Mauser forum. Both are great sites but Gunboards seems to get more traffic.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Sometimes word of mouth is the best way to find a real gem.

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

If the gun has not been sporterized $200 is a great deal. There are a couple of different variations of the Argentine 1909. There is the standard rifle which has a 29" barrel straight bolt handle and the rear sight goes from 300-2000 meters. Overall lenght is about 49" in lenght. There is also the cavalry carbine wich has a 21.5" barrel turned down bolt handle, and the stock goes almost to the muzzle of barrel and the front sight has a metal muzzle device that has ears to protect the front sight. Rear sight is a tangent type that goes out to 1400 meters. There is also a mountain carbine that has a 21.25" barrel and it looks similar to the Czech vz-24 or the Yugo m-48. You should look to see if the bolt matches the receiver, and the other smaller parts match as well. the bolt should have a number near where the handle meets the bolt body and the other metal parts will either have the entire serial number or the last two digits of the main serial number on the receiver ring. Also look to see if the rifling looks good. Not overly dark or pitted, and the rifling lands look strong and sharp. Also some of the 1909's had their crests ground off for importation so there may be a grind mark on the receiver ring. Book value for the various models are as follows Rifle: exc $550 to poor $175, Calvary carbine: exc $500 to poor $150, and Mountain carbine: exc $500 to poor $150

Like I said in the beginning if it is in decent shape I would jump for $200. Hope the info helps you out and if I can assist any more I'll do my best.

Good luck

(Blair County)

If it is in original military condition and in very good condition, snap it up for $200. There is not much that can hurt a Mauser. The 1909 is a large ring design, with a three position safety. Open the bolt and check that the rifle is empty!! The safety is located at the rear of the bolt and is a flag that rotates. Close the bolt and check the safety, one position will lock the bolt and not allow firing, one position will allow the bolt to operate but not fire, the third will allow operation and firing. Dry firing will not hurt the Mauser, go ahead and dry fire the rifle a few times. Remove the bolt by moving the bolt release, located on the left rear of the receiver and remove the bolt. Look through the barrel and inspect for rust, ignore the dirt. Make sure the magazine floorplate is not missing. This is a hinged plate and should be there. Then BUY it!!! The alone actions are selling for more.
    Steve

(Philadelphia County)

Hey guys,

I appreciate the responses and great info.
    Unfortunately the guy selling the rifle did more research on it, because he called me up, and said that now he has to get $500 for it, because he saw what they are going for in the condition that it is in.

I am not going to spend $500 on it, knowing that I am not that familiar with the gun. $200 would have been perfect, I would have even went as far as $250 if it was in that good of shape. But hey! another time.
    I think I am going to look into a C&R license.

Thanks again everyone,
    Ronnie
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown

(Lancaster County)

That sucks for you. I bet you get a call in a few weeks when he can't sell it.

Its hard to be an expert on everything. I'm the type that I'd rather let one get away then get screwed. There will always be another deal but you never seem to forget your mistakes!

C&R is absolutely the best deal for $30. Its cool buying a gun at a show(most shops won't take them,) giving them that piece of paper and walking away. Better yet is the Brown truck bringing them to your house!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wizzegun View Post
    That sucks for you. I bet you get a call in a few weeks when he can't sell it.

Its hard to be an expert on everything. I'm the type that I'd rather let one get away then get screwed. There will always be another deal but you never seem to forget your mistakes!

C&R is absolutely the best deal for $30. Its cool buying a gun at a show(most shops won't take them,) giving them that piece of paper and walking away. Better yet is the Brown truck bringing them to your house!
    Your right. I was saying the exact same thing earlier.
    The guy is trying to get what it is worth, and I can understand that. But that is going to be difficult for him, because he does not know anything about the firearm world. He just knows what he is reading, and that it is worth good money, but does not know how to go about selling it, other than to someone he knows.
    I am willing to bet that I get a call from him, asking if I am still interested in the rifle. If the $200 still stands, then sure. I guess we will see.

C&R is very appealing to me, but dangerous at the same time, because I know how I am.........LOL
    ZRT -SECTOR-7

(Berks County)

Ronnie, yeah we all are like that...

I can quit buying guns any time I want to.

I just don't want to.

There seem to be a lot of Mausers around right now, study up and save your money, get something you can't resist.

Enjoy yourself.

mark