Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Today's Tasks: Buy First Handgun and Sign Up on PAFOA!

Greetings!

I'm not new to guns. I've fired a ton of rounds through a G17, a Baby Eagle 40, various revolvers, rifles, and shotguns. But those weapons have always belonged to someone else...brothers, friends, even an old boss.

Today I'm new to gun ownership. I bought my first piece of hardware this morning. It's quite a cool feeling, and I'm sure you all know what I mean. Anyway, I just bought a Stoeger Cougar 9mm.

CALIBER: 9mm
    BARREL LENGTH: 3.6 inches
    OVERALL LENGTH: 7 inches
    AVERAGE WEIGHT: 32.6 ounces
    CAPACITY: 15 (9mm)
    GRIPS: Black Plastic
    FINISH: Matte Black
    SIGHTS: Fixed rear, removable blade front
    Action: Double/single action
    Safety: Ambidextrous safety lever
    For those who aren't familiar with this piece, Stoeger is owned by Benelli, which is owned by Beretta. After Beretta gave up on the Cougar, they shipped all of the machining and tooling to Turkey. In other words, this gun is literally the same piece that I coveted when Beretta introduced it in 1995.

This is a sweet little piece. I have to get my LTCF, which might happen this afternoon. I tried to stop at the courthouse near the gunshop, but I was surprised to find out that you can only apply in the county where you reside - an interesting tidbit that sheriffs don't bother to put on their websites.

I'll talk you folks later, I'm sure. As long as my wife doesn't find out what I just bought.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Today's Tasks: Buy First Handgun and Sign Up on PAFOA!

may I be the first to say welcome to PAFOA, and you have quite a beauty there
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin-

(Franklin County)

very cool gun and welcome to the boards!

This is a sweet little piece. I have to get my LTCF, which might happen this afternoon. I tried to stop at the courthouse near the gunshop, but I was surprised to find out that you can only apply in the county where you reside - an interesting tidbit that sheriffs don't bother to put on their websites.

I hope my assumption is incorrect here. And it is only an assumption at this point. However, did you stop at the courthouse on your way home from the gunshop where your first purchase of a handgun occured, obviously without a LTCF? If so, eventhough I disagree, I believe that would not be legal. I'm not throwing stones, just pointing this out so someone more in tune with the laws can add something here. Contragulations on getting involved. Also, nice buy, I remember shooting that piece a couple years ago and I loved it.

(Luzerne County)

Nice piece. Welcome to the forum..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

Congrats and welcome!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
    I hope my assumption is incorrect here. And it is only an assumption at this point. However, did you stop at the courthouse on your way home from the gunshop where your first purchase of a handgun occured, obviously without a LTCF? If so, eventhough I disagree, I believe that would not be legal. I'm not throwing stones, just pointing this out so someone more in tune with the laws can add something here. Contragulations on getting involved. Also, nice buy, I remember shooting that piece a couple years ago and I loved it.
    The courthouse was on the way to the dealer. I stopped there first and was turned away since it wasn't my home county.

I proceeded to the dealer, bought the gun, and transported it home legally (unloaded and in original box in back of vehicle, box of unopened ammo in glovebox). I checked with the dealer on how to legally transport without a LTCF before I stepped outside.

I do know better than to go to a courthouse with a weapon...haha. I don't think I would have made it past the metal detector...or the armed deputies.

Thanks for the nice welcome, everyone!

(Beaver County)

Welcome to the forum!
    I vote the second first

(Jefferson County)

Welcome to PAFOA! And nice choice for first handgun!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    The courthouse was on the way to the dealer. I stopped there first and was turned away since it wasn't my home county.

I proceeded to the dealer, bought the gun, and transported it home legally (unloaded and in original box in back of vehicle, box of unopened ammo in glovebox). I checked with the dealer on how to legally transport without a LTCF before I stepped outside.

I do know better than to go to a courthouse with a weapon...haha. I don't think I would have made it past the metal detector...or the armed deputies.

Thanks for the nice welcome, everyone!

Good luck with your LTCF and nice piece.