Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Handgun carry on a canoe trip.

I am going on an annual canoe trip with some friends this spring and I have a question concerning carrying a handgun. Not a legal question but a hardware question. In the past two years I haven't been dumped overboard but if this does occur how does the firearm and in particular the ammunition fare? Is a quick dunking going to do any harm to the rounds in the pistol? I am not familiar enough with bullet manufacturing to know how water resistant they are.

If you were carrying on a canoe trip would you take any steps to address this?

I will have dry bags but I don't really want to have my pistol tied up in a dry bag unless that is the best way to handle this.

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: Handgun carry on a canoe trip.

if you are really concerned about it, you could put it in a ziplock bag and just shoot through it if you had too!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Handgun carry on a canoe trip.

It's very unlikely that a short swim will deactivate quality defensive rounds. If i did take a dip I'd shoot those up and put fresh ammo in just for peace of mind.

Other precautions to take, if you carry in leather, switch to a kydex holster for the day.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    It's very unlikely that a short swim will deactivate quality defensive rounds. If i did take a dip I'd shoot those up and put fresh ammo in just for peace of mind.

Other precautions to take, if you carry in leather, switch to a kydex holster for the day.
    I agree on both counts.

You should also consider a lanyard if you're pistol has a lanyard loop.

Gemtech makes the best.

(Tioga County)

A thin coating of lacquer over the primer and around the joint between the bullet and the cartridge will seal it quite well. Make it a thin coat. I would give some of it a function test after trying this. the lacquer just has to seal. it will do this even if the layer is "see thru".

A lot of military ammo is sealed this way.

Do not cover the whole case or bullet.

(Philadelphia County)

I think by applying a chemical coating to your ammo you're more likely to induce malfunctions than simply by leaving it alone and risking it getting wet. It's going to take a long time for water to infiltrate.

(Erie County)

Just carry an AK, their made for that....

Thanks for the input everyone.

Just going on speculation I figured a quick dunk wouldn't really matter and I'd only have problems with a prolonged submersion. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off base.

I hadn't even thought of a lanyard but it makes a lot of sense. I make sure to put lanyards on my lights but it hadn't even crossed my mind for my firearm.

And as far as AKs go.... I've got one but what are legal ramifications of carrying one. I know the do's and don'ts of concealed carry with a pistol but not with longarms. Does a license to carry cover a concealed long arm? Even if it's not concealed it's not legal for hunting in PA so does one run into problems there?

I don't plan on carrying my AK with me but now my curiosity has gotten the best of me.

(Montgomery County)

LTCF does not cover concealed long arms UNLESS the rifle/shotgun is NFA length, meaning a rifle with a barrel less than 16" or under 26" OAL, or a shotgun will a barrel less than 18", or under 26" OAL.

cased or open carry of a rifle on a trip like you describe is legal, but its probablty unwise to advertise until it's needed

having done the exact thing you want to do, I carried my S&W Mountain lite 3" 44SPL in a Desantis Millenium fabric holster, with retention strap, and a simple snap lanyard.

i also carried an ar carbine on the trip in a waterproof stuff sack, with the bag lashed to a cross brace in case of a turnover (like all equipment should be)

you dont need a lanyard from gemtech, any of the coil or nylon gun lanyards available will work:-)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone.

Just going on speculation I figured a quick dunk wouldn't really matter and I'd only have problems with a prolonged submersion. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off base.

I hadn't even thought of a lanyard but it makes a lot of sense. I make sure to put lanyards on my lights but it hadn't even crossed my mind for my firearm.

And as far as AKs go.... I've got one but what are legal ramifications of carrying one. I know the do's and don'ts of concealed carry with a pistol but not with longarms. Does a license to carry cover a concealed long arm? Even if it's not concealed it's not legal for hunting in PA so does one run into problems there?

I don't plan on carrying my AK with me but now my curiosity has gotten the best of me.
    EDIT: beat me to it JayBell lol
    Last edited by Nate; March 25th, 2007 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast