Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competence

(Westmoreland County)

Default Competence

There is a maxim in the training industry regarding proficiency with firearms. It is comprised of three stages (or levels) that include both conscious and unconscious thought processes. In this context, conscious is defined as “aware” and unconscious is defined as “unaware” (as opposed to “knocked out cold” or comatose).

The first stage is “unconscious incompetence”. To describe this level we use the phrase “you don’t know what you don’t know”. It means that you aren’t aware that you are not truly proficient or competent. It’s not your fault because nobody is born with a firearm in his or her hands. And childhood hunting experiences are about as far from self defense TTP’s (tactics, techniques and procedures) as the earth is from the moon.

The next stage is an acknowledgement to oneself of “conscious incompetence” and progressing to the state of “conscious competence”. Put another way, “I really don’t know what I’m doing” to “I now know what I’m doing”. This transition occurs during a typical basic three day training course.

Subsequent to a formal training course in which one will have been taught proper TTP’s, the student now knows and understands correct gun handling and marksmanship. And through “conscious competence” and techniques such as “self speak”, you can “talk” your way through the TTP’s on the practice range and continue to polish and master the skills. It doesn’t necessarily mean that one is ready “to fight”, but you are now well on the way to begin the ascent to the next level.

The third stage is “unconscious competence”. This is where one has finally achieved a level of proficiency whereby gun handling, marksmanship and employing sound tactics all come together without conscious thought. In other words you can respond to threats on “auto-pilot”.

This is not intended to suggest that unless one attends “X” number of training classes over the course of a number of years that you will not be able to adequately defend yourself. People without formal training do in fact successfully defend themselves frequently. The point is that in the event of an armed encounter I’d much rather be lucky than proficient but unfortunately, relying on luck is simply unwise when your life or those of your loved ones hang in the balance.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Competence

Absolutely.

The more you master, the easier it is to see and process other things happen when you are shooting. Things that you had previously been unaware of due to having to concentrate on other areas.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

I agree with Tony.

This advertisement brought to you by http://www.fireinstitute.org

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Tioga County)

One thing evades me, Situational Awareness. I have it, but I can't instruct it. I can explain it in an intelectual way but I have been unable to pass on the skill. How do you do it? They say unless you can pass a skill on you have not truely mastered the skill. I guess I'm stuck being the student.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    I agree with Tony.

This advertisement brought to you by http://www.fireinstitute.org

Well,

My intentions are open and clear but since we're not a commercial enterprise I feel that fact provides me with a certain degree of credibility.

I'm not selling snake oil. Matter of fact I'm not selling anything.

And my contributions to this forum aren't limited to just posting our training courses. Granted I'm not much of a "thread starter" but I do participate on a daily basis and try to bring something constructive to the table.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    One thing evades me, Situational Awareness. I have it, but I can't instruct it. I can explain it in an intelectual way but I have been unable to pass on the skill.
    It's difficult to teach because it's a "state of mind" or "state of being". Another reason it's difficult is because since humans have been at the top of the food chain on this planet for so long, arguably we have no natural enemies except ourselves.

People living in industrialized nations have lost their "survival instincts" because most of us do live in safe neighborhoods and towns.

How do you do it?
    That's another thread.

I guess I'm stuck being the student.
    This is also subject matter for another thread. However, the moment you stop becoming a "student", you'll begin to stagnate. It's a good thing to forever be a "student".

(Tioga County)

Thanks, I have never thought of it in that context. It does explain it better. I guess hunting, "The most dangerous game", does hone those skills.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    It's difficult to teach because it's a "state of mind" or "state of being". Another reason it's difficult is because since humans have been at the top of the food chain on this planet for so long, arguably we have no natural enemies except ourselves.

People living in industrialized nations have lost their "survival instincts" because most of us do live in safe neighborhoods and towns.

That's another thread.

This is also subject matter for another thread. However, the moment you stop becoming a "student", you'll begin to stagnate. It's a good thing to forever be a "student".

Well,

My intentions are open and clear but since we're not a commercial enterprise I feel that fact provides me with a certain degree of credibility.

I'm not selling snake oil. Matter of fact I'm not selling anything.

And my contributions to this forum aren't limited to just posting our training courses. Granted I'm not much of a "thread starter" but I do participate on a daily basis and try to bring something constructive to the table.

Geeez Tony lighten up! what was it about that you didn't get?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    what was it about that you didn't get?
    It was duly noted but I was trying to start a serious thread about an important issue.

There are allot of people who don't think formal training has any value and comments like that only add fuel to the fire that we're only "in it" to profit from our classes (which isn't the case if you could see our checking account).

(Tioga County)

I for one can attest that formal training has real value. For the non beleaver. If formal training has no value why does the military spend a massive amount of your tax bucks on it? FYI they have taken many R&D projects off line to provide more formal training for those headed "over there". As they say in the military, "you fight the way you train. If you don't train you won't fight well." I am often ask about firearms and self defence. I don't teach it. I teach marksmanship. I really try to point out the difference. one question I always ask them in regard to self defence, "Are your really ready to pull the trigger knowing someone is going to die?" if they avoid the question, I tell them to put the gun away your not ready. Formal training will help you get past this to a degree. Some people will never be ready to go that final inch.

It was duly noted but I was trying to start a serious thread about an important issue.

There are allot of people who don't think formal training has any value and comments like that only add fuel to the fire that we're only "in it" to profit from our classes (which isn't the case if you could see our checking account).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast