Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SR9

(Wayne County)

Cool SR9

Anyone familiar with Rugers SR9? Sounds good, I `m personaly a Springfield fan ever since my days in Nam. Looking for hide out gun for night stand.

Qtrborecrazy

Default Re: SR9

I know they had a recall. I have yet to see one in person.

(Wayne County)

00leland00
    Thanks for the info thats all I had to hear. I`ll stick with SPRINGFIELD.

Qtrborecrazy

So, you're going to condemn a firearm because they had a recall. If you read the owners manual,of any firearm, it tells you not to drop any firearm on the butt with safety off or they put it in a picture with a red circle through it. I have a SR9, it shot perfect, no hiccups, before i sent it in. The only reason I sent it in was to get the free 17 round mag and hat. Now it has a new trigger and some other parts and it still shoots great.
    Ruger SR1911/SR9/Glock 19

(Montgomery County)

The new SR9's have a trigger safety on it similiar to a Glock.

The Springfield company today is not the same Springfield company that made M-1 Garands and M-14 rifles.

JB

(Wayne County)

Bersa45
    I`ll just wait for Ruger to work the bugs out. Did a search of SR9 and alot of people complained about same problems with mags, hard to load. Some did not like the trigger and a few the slide. Like I said sounds good but I`ll wait,that just gives me another reason to buy a new toy.

Qtrborecrazy

(Lancaster County)

Bersa45, lol that's the same reason I sent mine in, for the free mag. I sent it late last week and i'm anxiously awaiting it's return. As for how it shoots? It is an awesome gun, I haven't had any problems with it at all. My girlfriend shot it and it wouldn't eject the cartridge the whole way several times. I tried firing after her and it worked fine. But I guess that could happen with any firearm.
    The mags were hard to load at first, but after you use them a bit they are fine.

Be safe
    Shawn
    Peace is the first choice of a wise man ; superior firepower a close second. -IDK

(York County)

From what I have heard from numerous places:

> Recall is mostly a joke, the issue was that after release in a follow test in a lab condition Ruger was able to get the SR-9 to fire in a drop. That said, many have tried testing this, using mallets, etc. And did not replicate an accidental discharge. While it was possible for an SR-9 to do so, it was probably less likely than a great many other modern firearms out there.

In fact, I am suspicious that Ruger did it for two reasons: 1) To go above and beyond the necessary duty for testimony's sake in any future legal action. 2) All the free advertisement. Think about it. Every where I go, every magazine I look at is an alert to the SR-9 recall. Posted in every gun dealer and firing range. It's almost like an ad-campaign.

As for the trigger, Most I've heard talk about the gun said it really needed 500-1000 rounds thru it before the trigger really smoothed out. And many recommened a fair amount of dry-firing.

I personally did not like the feel as much as on the Ruger P-345. So I went with the larger brother instead. Plus I liked having a hammer spur and de-cocker.

(Cumberland County)

For an SR9, like new, in box, you might check out Appalachian Trading Post in Carlisle, PA at 717-249-4298.

I've shot the pre-recall SR9. The trigger pull was great and its accuracy was without a doubt outstanding. Easily adjustable rear sight too. However, I felt the slide action was not a good ergonomic fit for me personally - kind of rough. The pistol does fit extremely well in the hand though. No problems whatsoever when shooting.

If I had never seen the S&W M&P9, the SR9 would still be my choice for an American made striker fired high capacity automatic pistol.

Good luck on your search & choice.