Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Case law on No-Gun signage?

I seem to recall that people on this forum have said that posted signs carry no legal weight in PA. To be charged with trespassing, one has to be asked to leave, and that request must be refused. However, that's not what happened this past weekend in Lancaster:

Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun
    By Charles D. Perry · The Herald

A Lancaster man was arrested over the weekend after he left his loaded pistol at a Fort Mill playground and a 7-year-old girl found it, according to a York County Sheriff’s Office report.

A deputy was called to Plaza Fiesta just after 1:45 p.m. Saturday by a man who said a 7-year-old girl had given him a gun that she found on the playground.

The weapon was fully loaded when the girl discovered it, the report stated.

Later, 31-year-old Anthony Roberts asked a security guard if he could have his gun back, the report stated. Roberts told the sheriff’s deputy that he had his gun on the playground and must have dropped it when he went to get his son.

Roberts has a concealed weapons permit, but signs at the entrances to Plaza Fiesta said no weapons were allowed, the report stated. Roberts was charged with trespassing after notice because he brought the gun into Plaza Fiesta.

Now, I could see the justice, perhaps, in arresting him for being an idiot. But will this charge hold up in court, or will it be another case of some officer trying to stretch the law? If he's convicted, this could be a serious problem. I'd hate to see a time when you can be arrested for carrying when the no firearms policy is printed on pamphlets at the information desk.

Edit: http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/815507.html
    Last edited by BerettaRogue; September 16th, 2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added link
    While the wicked stand confounded, call me with Thy saints surrounded.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Case law on No-Gun signage?

IANAL but...I don't see how they could do that. Maybe he doesn't read English.... maybe he didn't see the sign? I would think some kind of negligence charge would stick but....(only because I don't think there is such a thing as an idiot charge).

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaRogue View Post
    I seem to recall that people on this forum have said that posted signs carry no legal weight in PA. To be charged with trespassing, one has to be asked to leave, and that request must be refused. However, that's not what happened this past weekend in Lancaster:

Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun
    By Charles D. Perry · The Herald

A Lancaster man was arrested over the weekend after he left his loaded pistol at a Fort Mill playground and a 7-year-old girl found it, according to a York County Sheriff’s Office report.

A deputy was called to Plaza Fiesta just after 1:45 p.m. Saturday by a man who said a 7-year-old girl had given him a gun that she found on the playground.

The weapon was fully loaded when the girl discovered it, the report stated.

Later, 31-year-old Anthony Roberts asked a security guard if he could have his gun back, the report stated. Roberts told the sheriff’s deputy that he had his gun on the playground and must have dropped it when he went to get his son.

Roberts has a concealed weapons permit, but signs at the entrances to Plaza Fiesta said no weapons were allowed, the report stated. Roberts was charged with trespassing after notice because he brought the gun into Plaza Fiesta.

Now, I could see the justice, perhaps, in arresting him for being an idiot. But will this charge hold up in court, or will it be another case of some officer trying to stretch the law? If he's convicted, this could be a serious problem. I'd hate to see a time when you can be arrested for carrying when the no firearms policy is printed on pamphlets at the information desk.

Edit: http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/815507.html
    This occured in South Carolina not PA.

See: http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stori....7ce2295f.html

Stay well.

---elston

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! - King Leonidas I, 480 B.C.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.

Ah, that makes more sense. The guy who sent it to me over at opencarry said it was from PA. SC may very well be able to convict off signs.

Oops.
    While the wicked stand confounded, call me with Thy saints surrounded.