Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Can you shoot geese & ducks over land with lead shot while small gaming?

My father and I have been talking about this for a few years. He says you can't hunt waterfowl with lead shot and I agree. But what about when you are out for rabbits, pheasants etc., you have your duck stamp, and waterfowl happen to fly over in shooting range. Is it legal? I'm not hunting waterfowl but cicumstances bring them in range. Any opinions?

Default Re: Can you shoot geese & ducks over land with lead shot while small gaming?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Can you shoot geese & ducks over land with lead shot while small gaming?

I would read the book that came with your hunting License. Your answer is no. You can not even have lead shot in your possession when hunting water fowl. If a game officer finds you in possession of say a duck. And You are carrying lead shot or he digs lead out of it. As the saying goes (your in a heap of trouble boy).

Quote Originally Posted by WMEC 165 View Post
    My father and I have been talking about this for a few years. He says you can't hunt waterfowl with lead shot and I agree. But what about when you are out for rabbits, pheasants etc., you have your duck stamp, and waterfowl happen to fly over in shooting range. Is it legal? I'm not hunting waterfowl but cicumstances bring them in range. Any opinions?
    It has already been told to you the correct answer. It is a FEDERAL crime to shoot at geese with lead shot, that's the law. Doesn't matter anything about the circumstances, or what you were previously hunting, don't do it. Game wardens are EXTREMELY strict about migratory waterfowl. I have heard if you are goose/duck hunting and you get caught with lead shot on you (say you have some steel in the gun, but lead in your pockets), you will be fined heavily. I haven't looked, but I've heard some say up to $1,000 per lead shell shot on the person, or others just sa $5,000 straight up. When the game warden takes you to jail over this, they're going to impound all the firearms that were there, all the vehicles present, and all of your decoys and gear. We're talking SERIOUS business, federal crimes. It would be in your best interest to not test this one.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; August 18th, 2009 at 05:05 PM.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by seoulstice View Post
    That's why you ask! If it saves you a big fine there is no stupid question!