Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Hard stoppage on the range today. **Update in a reply**

No tap, rack and bang could fix what happened to me at the range today. I recently installed a 22 pound recoil spring into my new to me K40. I was about 50 rounds into my range trip when the malfunction occurred. Tried tap, rack, bang to no avail then got a little more aggressive and still couldn't clear it. I was definitely out of the fight but luckily it was just a range trip. My problem was definitely ammo related as I had a live round jammed about halfway into my chamber. The extractor had pulled off the casing when I tried to clear it but did not rip the brass. I tried to pry it out with my pocket knife but didn't want to put too much pressure on the slide. It wouldn't budge so I reluctantly had to put a screwdriver into the muzzle and push it out. I was using Remington "high performance" hollow point ammunition, 155 grain. It comes in a green and yellow box and I thought I had another steal when I was buying it for $19/50 rounds. I bought five boxes with the intention to run at least two or three through it before saving the others for carry. The incident got me wondering if the barrel on my Kahr has a tighter tolerance than my other guns but I also had a Glock model 22 with me and it wouldn't feed into that either. I could not feel any difference in it and there was no visual imperfections so of course I'm worried about using this ammo for carry. For the time being I locked the slide back and dropped rounds into the chamber one at a time until I got 13 definite fits to load up the gun and spare mag. I guess the moral of my post is to be wary of Remington ammunition and to brag that my $290 Kahr K40 now has about 350 rounds through it with no gun related failures.

Picture below is obviously of one of the rounds that worked.

Last edited by bripro; February 12th, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Chester County)

Default Re: Hard stoppage on the range today.

Fascinating....

First of all, great pic.

Is that roped off area behind you going to be a winter ice-hockey rink for the neighboring kids?

FWIW, if a live cartridge gets "stuck" somewhere, I probably would have called it a day (at least for that pistol and ammo-and brought out another of a different caliber), disassembled the semi-auto at home, and flooded the barrel with some lubricant (Kroil, PB Blaster, WD-40 in that order) and let the lubricants do their thing overnight. Next morning, you could probably pop it out with a chopstick. Safer that way, I think - just saying.

Thankfully, no harm, no foul - so it is an ice hockey rink!

But good advice from you to test your rounds before you rely on them as carry rounds.

Thanks for sharing this - and who took the "blaster" pic? Fan-club or remote device?

Glad you fixed the problem...
    - bamboomaster

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Is that roped off area behind you going to be a winter ice-hockey rink for the neighboring kids?
    Seriously, looks like a sub-division within about 50'. If so, it's the last place I'd be throwing out lead.

(Lancaster County)

I'm actually at my range. The area behind me is the gravel parking lot and I am on the inside of the roped off shooters only area. Yes, the houses creeped up on us but supposedly they all signed a waiver acknowledging there's a gun range practically in the backyard. To get the picture I just set my iPhone to record and then paused it on the frame.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Allegheny County)

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Will you call Remington? Sounds like a start of a recall to me. Post the lot numbers. Nice flame ball picture.

(Lancaster County)

^^ Hopefully the round is still in the dud box at the range. I'll go back today and check for it. I also threw out the box this particular round came in but that should be easy to find. Once I have the items in hand I will draft up a letter for Remington and send it off, hopefully with the round included.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of backing a live round out through my pistol but I was able to do so without ever putting my hand in front. I just kind of laid the screwdriver on a table and scooped it up through the bore with my hand on the grip being conscious to keep it relatively pointed downrange as I did so. Believe me, with those houses so close it feels like we're being watched all the time, probably recorded too, in hopes of them catching us doing something stupid. I guess it would be a fine place to live if you enjoy shooting but I can only think of one member who lives along the lane.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Awesome first picture. Sorry to hear about the trouble with that round. I remember having a box of those for my Sig sp2022. I had no issues but it was only one box. This was 4-5 years ago

(Lancaster County)

I went back and luckily the ground was still in the box. It's currently in my possession. My next question is, how do I go about mailing a live around to Remington?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Monroe County)

Contact them and they will take care of it.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast