Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SoapBox

(Delaware County)

Default SoapBox

I'd like to see a new forum area called SoapBox.

We've all seen threads get out of hand. Lately it's been OC vs CC, but it's happened many times in the past. Glock vs X, 9mm vs X, well you get the idea. A lot of times these discussions turn into slugfests and end up getting closed.

Here's how it would work.

Once a popular subject starts to get out of hand a new thread on the subject will be posted in the SoapBox area. Each person who wanted to, would get a chance to state their opinion on the subject, but that's it. No slamming the other side, no attacks on anyone else, just your views of the pros and cons of the subject, you can not point at someone else or their post. PLUS, you can only post ONCE on each subject.

The thread would be a locked thread, meaning it would need one of the 5 folks who moderate to approve it before it's posted, not edit it, just check to make sure it follows the guidelines, similar to the ADs section where no personal comments are allowed.

Having an area like this would give everyone a chance to state their views on a subject without fear of someone else jumping down their throat or telling them how wrong their view is.

The in house fighting that goes on here will be our downfall. This is a great forum with lots of great folks and info, I'd hate to see this site close.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Bill

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SoapBox

How about the mods just give people short vacations from the forums up to a ban for personal attacks? Stops the nonsense right there.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    How about the mods just give people short vacations from the forums up to a ban for personal attacks? Stops the nonsense right there.

True, but I think a place where you can voice you side without fear of attack would be better, I wonder how many folks refrain from posting on a subject because of not wanting to get possibly jumped on. It would be a safe place to have your views expressed.

(Allegheny County)

If you can't voice your opinion without calling someone names they you need to excersize your right to remain silent. I have no issues at all with someone that doesn't agree with me, but if you have nothing to say other than calling someone a name then STFU IMO

(Westmoreland County)

I'd have to agree with Montanya on this...

I used to have a forum called "The Fire Pit" on my Ford Taurus forum...it was fine for awhile, but the arguments started to carry over to the regular forums and grudges started appearing. The best bet is to nip flaming and abusive arguments in the bud. Nothing wrong with friendly debating, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Not to cut on Bill's idea...I just wanted to relay my personal experience on this type of forum...
    Last edited by RocketFoot; January 21st, 2008 at 09:54 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I'd have to agree with Montanya on this...

I used to have a forum called "The Fire Pit" on my Ford Taurus forum...it was fine for awhile, but the arguments started to carry over to the regular forums and grudges started appearing. The best bet is to nip flaming and abusive arguments in the bud. Nothing wrong with friendly debating, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't give some folks a time out who abuse main thread area. We all wonder off topic from time to time, I'm not talking about that. I'd just like to see at least one place that I could read people's views on a subject without wading thru the all of the garbage, that's why the thread would be locked and only one chance to state your views in that thread would be allowed.

I'm all for intelligent debate, I've learned a lot from reading those discussions.

It's just a thought, personally I'm tired of all the infighting, I'm hoping that something like the SoapBox could prove that we all have the ability to express our views in an adult manner, without the opposing side bashing you. If it did carry over to the normal threads that would be cause for time outs.

In my opinion it's really sad to even have to think of something like this, a few folks that used to offer insight on a regular basis are no longer around. I think it's because of the bashing that goes on when someone doesn't agree with someone else.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think it could hurt to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I wonder how many folks refrain from posting on a subject because of not wanting to get possibly jumped on.
    I'm one of these people now, ever since that one incident where we had someone bashing Vets & others here...you know who I'm talking about Byker.
    I could add opinions but I've found it's completely irrelevant to do so. It is afterall just an opinion.
    All & all I guess I'm just sick of explaining myself to someone because they interpreted words differently than what I intended in the first place.
    I'm looking forward to group shoots and meeting others face to face.
    I'm all about looking someone in the eye and a handshake.

(Allegheny County)

I just don't know about giving up our beloved forum to trolls, baiters and jackasses. I believe there are moderators on here for a reason, lets start clicking that "report post" sign on posts thare are personal attacks/slurs/baiting or just general nonsense. I'm not saying posts that you don't agree with, I'm saying people that cross the line, lets give the mods a hand and make sure they are reported. Then I will be one to call the mods on it when those same people keep causing shit without a vacation or ban. Lets TAKE BACK the forum from the new round of trolls causing shit without incident!! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

I honestly think that alot of the time the mods are afraid of losing the regular posts by banning someone with like 500 posts or giving them a vacation for violating the rules. Someone posts with a duplicate account for the same IP and gets a week vacation, yet people can slur veterans or things like that without repercussion. If everyone here agreed with each other it would be boring, but talk on the forum like you would talk in person, don't be a e-bully just because you are anonymous behind a keyboard.
    Last edited by Montanya; January 21st, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    I just don't know about giving up our beloved forum to trolls, baiters and jackasses. I believe there are moderators on here for a reason, lets start clicking that "report post" sign on posts thare are personal attacks/slurs/baiting or just general nonsense. I'm not saying posts that you don't agree with, I'm saying people that cross the line, lets give the mods a hand and make sure they are reported. Then I will be one to call the mods on it when those same people keep causing shit without a vacation or ban. Lets TAKE BACK the forum from the new round of trolls causing shit without incident!! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

I honestly think that alot of the time the mods are afraid of losing the regular posts by banning someone with like 500 posts or giving them a vacation for violating the rules. Someone posts with a duplicate account for the same IP and gets a week vacation, yet people can slur veterans or things like that without repercussion. If everyone here agreed with each other it would be boring, but talk on the forum like you would talk in person, don't be a e-bully just because you are anonymous behind a keyboard.

While I agree with all that you've pointed out here, Montanya, the Soapbox would be the one place we wouldn't have to put up with the attacks BEFORE something is done and still get a chance to post and read points of view without crosstalk and garbage.

I'm not saying make the whole forum mod regulated before a post appears, just this one spot. There are 5 such mod regulated spots already, in order to keep things on track: Rules, Forum Announcements, Alerts, Organizational Announcements, & Press Releases all of which need a mod approval for a post to show.

(Allegheny County)

I understand what you are saying, and I know you understand what I am saying, just IMO such an area should not be nessicary, people should be able to behave like an adult on ALL the areas of the forum and should not need a section with extra hand-holding for them to behave like adults. In the end, we shall see what Danp and Doug have to say on the topic.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast