Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default I called LEO about setting up home range

A few months ago, before I moved to PA, I called locality police about setting up a range on my property and if there were any ordinances against it. I realized I might not get the "right" answer (the "right" answer depends upon the observer) but I wanted to see what they have to say on the issue since they deal with it.

They transferred me to an older person (not retirement older), possibly senior in the org. He told me there were no ordinances, they prefer a 6' backstop. He "wouldn't suggest" go auto or shoot with "assault weapons" where your neighbors can see because you might get complaints. Use your common sense. The NRA has guidance for these types of things that you might want to check out. He then proceeded to talk to me about the various properties he has owned and which ones he shot at, how he did it, etc.

Now - I have no doubt there are people on this forum who can find something wrong with what he told me. That is NOT the point. The point is that I had a very congenial conversion with a man that was trying to be helpful, let me know that there wasn't a problem, and giving me advice based upon his experience. Anyone from New Jersey, like me, can see the OCEAN of distance between this cop trying to be helpful on this issue and what I expected.

I love PA and Northampton County

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I called LEO about setting up home range

Your experience does not surprise me. I am just north of you in Monroe county and had a similar talk with our local LE and zoning offices when I bought my property. I was told point blank that shooting on your own property is simple. Do it in a safe manner and make sure you have a good back stop. When the police show up because your neighbors complain, just be nice and talk to them, show them where you shoot and if you still have the guns out, start a normal everyday conversation with them about guns. MOST police officers are gun guys and have no problem with the everyday Joe shooting on his own property.

Rich W.