Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Armslist Internet Scam

I have a customer who wanted a 629 S&W. Paid me up front for it knowing as a small shop I use my money to purchase special orders.

I made a deal for one in South Dakota, as a private sale on Armslist.

Like most of you on here, I have bought from private individuals before no prob....

EMail correspondence was good and I reminded them I require an FFL there to ship... no prob, they have one....

OK--- price... $700... bank check is fine.. ok.. sent.

2 days go by, no tracking from FFL... email question--- its on its way...

2 more days no tracking... email contact.... NOTHING...

Then Armslist sends an email that the ad I replied to is FRAUD..... nice--- now they tell me! Check has already been cashed. Their disclaimer upfront says they do not get involved in such transactions.

Their suggestion-- an intrnet claim form and local police report.... they dont get involved like GB does.... I am on my own,.

SO I fill out the internet form and go to ST POLICE- I dont have local police coverage.

Upon entering the PSP, I told the trooper I wanted to file an online theft report.

What did you buy he asked......I said a gun... He goes... YOU TRIED TO BUY A GUN ONLINE?????? as tho it was illegal.... I said of course... SILENCE... STARE.... then I handed my FFL to him and he goes... YOU ARE AN FFL??? as tho I should have worn a shirt with big letters saying FFL....

He took the info and said.... there is no hope of any recovery... .the DA here wont extridite if they catch the guy due to the low amount of money...and the distance to SD. Ya gotta love our legal system right?

I aLso made a contact in SD to that PD with copies of my PSP report... No reply either.

I googled the woman (YES A Woman) and found a phone number, left a VERY polite Vmail and asked her to call me, that the police report was filed and an arrest warrant will be issued.... NO reply...

SO I am screwed... a $700 lesson in business....so now I have to buy another 44 somewhere else and use MY MONEY ...all my customer knows is that I need to put a S&W in his hands.

What I will do in the future---- 20-20 hindsight... is.... OK bring the gun to your FFL... I will send my check to HIM---- you go and get the check from HIM... he sends me the gun... PERIOD....

I hate to roll over and lick my wounds and welcome your suggestions. THANKS!
    Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater

(Chester County)

Default Re: Armslist Internet Scam

Sucks that you got screwed. My only request would be that you post the person's name so others don't also get screwed by them.

(Allegheny County)

Sorry you got scammed. There really isn't protection for people who get screwed like this and I think the scammers know they won't face any consequences, legal or otherwise, as long as they target victims a good distance away. However, as discussed here (http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/229...out-state.html), Armslist is really designed for FTF transactions which is why the con artists like it so much. If they can lure someone into sending money, they're golden. Also, it's not a bad idea to use postal money orders in the future because then you can file a claim with them to recoup your money.

(Northampton County)

Your idea is good, try PayPal. Only send money to registered users, they have to have a CC or Bank Account linked to the Pay Pal. Should you get stiffed, you can file a claim, prove your case. They will either take the money from the persons pay pal account or their bank or charge their CC and give you your money back.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Bucks County)

PayPal,will Not cover firearms,Do Not use PayPal for any reason when dealing

with firearms! Please let us know who it was,and was there any feedback on

this "person".

(Montgomery County)

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I was on the fence about doing an armslist deal for a rifle I was looking hard for (arsenal sgl 31-94 with 10 mags and ammo for $1200- a good deal), but I just didn't feel right about it after reading if screwed I basically had no recourse. I eventually paid more for a brand new one from kvar but my peace of mind is worth it. I hope they get the pos.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Perry County)

BATFE? I've wondered if they would get involved. It's an interstate sale of a firearm. They also claimed to be an FFL. Nothing worse than having the feds come down on you. You can also try the Postal Inspectors since I'm assuming you sent the check snail mail.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karwin11 View Post
    PayPal,will Not cover firearms,Do Not use PayPal for any reason when dealing

with firearms! Please let us know who it was,and was there any feedback on

this "person".
    If thats true, that I apologize for not providing correct info.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JStem1283 View Post
    If thats true, that I apologize for not providing correct info.
    It's true: PayPal is vehemently anti-gun. If they find out that you used your account for anything gun related they will suspend it which could lead to problems with the checking account linked to it.

(Delaware County)

Filing a report with any of the aforementioned agencies will garner no response whatsoever. USPS will not do a thing. Filing police report, nada!

Use pistol pay. This service will ensure both parties are legit.

I hate to hear the scammers are winning at this game. Protect yourself by asking lots of questions. If the answers don't feel right, walk away.

I almost got scammed by a guy selling a beautiful Hungarian An on Armslist. I asked a lot of questions and the guy got ansy.........

Good luck recovering your funds.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast