Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Anyone into flying RC helicopters?

Decided to get into a new hobby about a month ago. Got me a collective pitch Esky Belt CP v2, crashed it pretty good and found out that I should've gotten something easier to learn on first. Went and bought a Lama v4 coaxial and have been doing really well with it. Still have occasional crashes, but that thing is pretty sturdy.

While waiting for parts to fix my CPv2, I decided to upgrade my Lama v4 with Xtreme parts to make it even better. Got a great deal from someone out in CA so I decided to buy an already upgraded, but used Lama v4. Anyway, the thing doesn't want to take off. Everything spins and all of the controls seem to be find, but it just won't get more than 2 inches off the ground. I'm still happy with the deal because I got an extra conversion kit for my other Lama + even more extras.

Anyway, I'm thinking of joining one of those RC flying clubs to get some help and have some organized fun. Anyone here into this stuff?

Al

(Chester County)

Default Re: Anyone into flying RC helicopters?

I saw a group with the boats that was way cool! Haven't seen any copters other than on tv etc... I am sure you will continue to have a blast.

(Chester County)

Sweet, post some pics sometime...Whats it cost to get into it?

Last edited by mikey; February 27th, 2010 at 11:44 AM.

(York County)

Yep.

Main interest is R/C submarines, been doing that for 20+ years. Been flying helis for about 3.

Do yourself a huge favor and check out www.helifreak.com More good info there than you can believe.

I'm not familiar with the lama, but at first blush it sounds like the head isn't set up correctly. With the motor disconnected, what's your pitch range? You should be at zero at half stick, and +10 at full throttle.

Jim
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    I saw a group with the boats that was way cool! Haven't seen any copters other than on tv etc... I am sure you will continue to have a blast.
    I love it so far. I guess I just get bored easily so I keep finding new hobbies. This one is a little more tedious with the actual mechanical work whenever I have to deal with parts and stuff. Lots of fun though.

Boats and planes require lots of space/water. Heli's you can pretty much fly anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Spishack357 View Post
    Sweet, post some pics sometime...Whats it cost to get into it?
    Will do sometimes. The CP v2 cost me around $180, but the factory parts are easily broken so plan for a lots of upgrades/replacements. I think I spent another $100 or so on parts and upgrades and still haven't really flow the thing yet.

The Lama v4, which I highly recommend to start out with, is a lot easier to fly on. I got mine for $90 online. I got upgrades and replacement from ebay and stores (all are from Hong Kong). A complete Xtreme upgrade kit will run about $100, but there are other options to upgrade just the skid, blades, and some plastic parts to CNC parts for around $50.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    My neighbor LOST a $1000.00 helicopter after it got to high and the wind caught it and took it out of sight. He looked for it for a week straight and never found it.

After that, he got into RC nitro monster trucks, like me. I haven't lost one, yet.
    Hahaha...that sucks!!! The Lama v4 become uncontrollable outside if it gets a little windy or rises above 25' -30'. I won't go nitro for a long while though. Nitro monster trucks .... *yawn*

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post
    Yep.

Main interest is R/C submarines, been doing that for 20+ years. Been flying helis for about 3.

Do yourself a huge favor and check out www.helifreak.com More good info there than you can believe.

I'm not familiar with the lama, but at first blush it sounds like the head isn't set up correctly. With the motor disconnected, what's your pitch range? You should be at zero at half stick, and +10 at full throttle.

Jim
    Thanks for the advice! I'll check out the head. I just got it last night so haven't been looking to much into it. I've been on helifreak.com, but have been around other sites too. Still haven't figured out which one is the best to hop on. Will sign up for helifreak per your recommendation.

Al

(Bucks County)

I used do tinker with these.

As mentioned youll need to check out the head and your servo setup and or trim adjustments. Its only flying in ground effect right now. Could even be weak batteries if you bought this used.

I think I have some equipment left over if you would be interested, pitch gauges and such.

(Northampton County)

I know a guy who is pretty serious about this stuff (or at least very prolific). But he got banned here a couple years ago. You can find him on Uzitalk.

(Delaware County)

i got one of those micro helicopters last year, indoor fun, does that count.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast