Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Buying a used pistol over the Internet

Would you?

It seems like I can probably save $150 by buying a Walther PPS from someone on a message board. I'm not as worried about the possibility of being ripped off (someone takes the cash, no gun is sent), but more about buying someones' lemon.

I'm sure walther makes quality centerfire pistols. I presume if it has extraction or feed issues, that I can send it in to get fixed, but it still makes me nervous...

Would you buy a used semi-auto pistol over the internet, after seeing only some pics?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Buying a used pistol over the Internet

I personally am a little iffy on buying something that I can't touch before shelling out the money.

But that is just me.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Would you?

It seems like I can probably save $150 by buying a Walther PPS from someone on a message board. I'm not as worried about the possibility of being ripped off (someone takes the cash, no gun is sent), but more about buying someones' lemon.

I'm sure walther makes quality centerfire pistols. I presume if it has extraction or feed issues, that I can send it in to get fixed, but it still makes me nervous...

Would you buy a used semi-auto pistol over the internet, after seeing only some pics?
    Depends on the forum and the person. Someone respected on the forum? I'd buy it. New member selling a gun? Probably not.

(Berks County)

I'm pretty much on the same page as normanvain. There are some things that I will buy over the interweb with no qualms but mechanical items that I can't put my hands on to check out first are not on that list.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Blair County)

most of the time if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. just my 2 cents.

It's a crap shoot. And if anything is wrong with it, you can't in good conscience go and float it back up for sale without doing something about its issues.

There's always the possibility that the person simply wanted to love the PPS and didn't. I love Walthers, myself, but just not that one. It's skinny across the back of the grip and hits me all wrong for comfort, and when it discharges, it feels like it's biting the web of my hand. Luckily, I had the chance to shoot one without finding out that I didn't really care for it.

(Chester County)

Thanks everyone for the responses... I wasn't sure if I was acting like a nervous ninny - but it seems like you all feel the same way too.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    It's a crap shoot. And if anything is wrong with it, you can't in good conscience go and float it back up for sale without doing something about its issues.

There's always the possibility that the person simply wanted to love the PPS and didn't. I love Walthers, myself, but just not that one. It's skinny across the back of the grip and hits me all wrong for comfort, and when it discharges, it feels like it's biting the web of my hand. Luckily, I had the chance to shoot one without finding out that I didn't really care for it.
    Yeah, I'll throw up a new thread about the PPS itself after x-mas, when I'm closer to making the purchase. I do want to shoot one, but I refuse to deal with Targetmaster anymore, so I have to hope that French Creek has them in stock to try out.

(Montgomery County)

I prefer to buy in person, but I've bought or traded a total of 4 guns on the net. Two were new and two were used.

I did my homework as best as I could for all four transactions and they all turned out well. I was leery when I did the first transaction, but after it turned out well, I had no problems with the others.

I'd say if you are purchasing a new or used gun, try to find out as much as you can about the seller to make sure they are good. Gunbroker has feedback you can read.

The forums are a little more iffy. I would probably not buy from someone who is new (less than 4 months) unless they had references from some established members. I also wouldn't buy from someone who didn't post pictures of the gun or only posted one picture.

Good luck!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Philadelphia County)

I have bought 10 out of 14 my guns online through various forums and gun sites and not once felt like I screwed over or got a lemon. Every deal was a good deal, 2 were photos first then FTF, but the other 8 were from out of state. Only 2 of those 8 were new guns, the other 6 were in exact or better than conditions advertised. I haven't heard any nightmare story from anyone and from my personal experience, I actually highly encourage it for several reasons:

1. Most manufacturers will service your gun free of charge regardless of whether or not it's under warranty. I found this to be true in the case of NAA and S&W. Beretta asked for a receipt and I was lucky enough to be under warranty ... and the funny thing was that it wasn't 1 of the 10 transactions.

2. Most gun owners are honest. I don't know why, but that has been my sense. Maybe it's karma as I have ALWAYS been honest about my items. It's advisable if you can get in touch by phone with the seller first.

3. A good deal CAN be too good to be true. Again, another personal experience. I got a brand new low serial # Dan Wesson Pistol Pak for under $400!!! I was careful to look at the seller's rating and made sure he reply to my email before bidding. Overall, most of the deals are great if you are willing (and be smart) to do research on prices. Most private sellers are willing to negotiate.

4. It's safe. It's unlikely that some will try to screw you given the legal consequences. I mean would you want to screw with gun owners? Money order is the best way to prevent any sort of thievery activities. PayPal is NOT.

Good luck and if you want to get my opinion on a particular online purchase, I'll be happy to give you my $.02.

Al

(Bucks County)

Default Buying over the Internet

When you buy a gun from a mortar and brick store, do you get to fire it first?
    I've bought quite a few guns online and haven't been disappointed yet. Hell, I bought my house online(saw it first anyways), my van, tools, supplies, etc. all sight unseen(cept for pics).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast