Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default G20 to cost Pgh Businesses big bucks

Many businesses in downtown Pittsburgh are going to shut down for the G20.
    So the city will deader than normal. Hey the people from out of town will get to see what Pittsburgh is going to look like in 10-15 years.

pittsburghlive

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: G20 to cost Pgh Businesses big bucks

Officials Release New Details On G20 Security

http://kdka.com/local/G20.Summit.sec...2.1142714.html

As the date of the G20 Summit nears, officials are releasing new details about their plans for tightening up security.

KDKA has learned the Secret Service will be using 25 miles of fencing seven feet high to surround the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, the Westin Convention Center Hotel and the Federal Building during the G20.

Meanwhile, local businesses aren't taking any chances with their property either. One hardware store sold 5,000 sheets of plywood, 3,000 two by four's and 2,000 pounds of dry wall cement.

But the security perimeter will be a little smaller than first thought. It will likely extend from Sixth Street through 11th Street with only a few people allowed in and out.

"It is going to be difficult to get around downtown we've been very clear about that," said Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl.

Also, sources say all parking garages will be closed from midnight Wednesday until late Friday afternoon.

And that has some people stocking up in case they have to sleep at work. One Dick's Sporting Goods location sold out of air mattresses and cots three separate times.

As for the thousands of protestors, officials say there will be three staging areas for them to gather at, one in that giant parking lot on 11th Street, a spot on the North Side as well as in Point State Park.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

I am dreading the start of the G20. Pittsburgh is going to be infested with right and left extremists, pretty much the scum of American society all congregating in Pittsburgh. This sucks and I agree that they really didn't plan well for the G20. I'm just hoping that I won't have to go downtown at all in the coming weeks.

As for businesses, I think that some businesses will lose out for a few days but many restaurants and bars should be getting a boost in those few days. I think that is security does its job well and keeps the protesters civil then businesses shouldn't lose businesses. But if they get out of hand and damage private property (like the Super Bowl) then Pittsburgh will really be feeling it after the conclusion of the Summit.

(Franklin County)

Anyone feel like doing some protesting/OC'ing? I'll be in town and I'm sure I could spare a day to carry a sign with some pithy message. Maybe I'll even bring my gun and Bible and cling to both ;-)

(Allegheny County)

I was thinking to hang out downtown to just observe and report. And keep an eye on the out-of-towners. Maybe ask them some questions, direct them to Primanti Brothers, etc.

Anyone want to hang out? It would be tempting to OC a AR but I'd prefer to give the authorities one less thing to worry about. (It's not going to change anyone's mind anyways)

It would be a good opportunity to carry that milsurp gas mask and any helmets you have.

No, but it won't be a protest. Just want to be a peaceful Pittsburgher.

(Lancaster County)

Geez, if the Glock 20 is giving you that much trouble just go with a EAA Witness in 10mm or a new Delta Elite.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Peaceandlove, whether you were kidding or not about going Downtown, that's likely the last place you want to be. Trust me on this one. I'll be working down there, likely double shifts, for the duration. We're preparing for the worst which could have the potential of making the Super Bowl revelry look like a child's game in contrast, especially if the Black Bloc has their way. I cannot tell anyone here much because of a restriction on disclosing how public safety is preparing for the event. That is a big part of the reason you guys don't know much of what is being planned. I do believe that even with the public's right to know, this is one case that keeping details close to the vest is in the best interest of the citizens and legitimate visitors to the City. The potential of what could happen on several fronts makes this necessary.

My mother in law is very heavily involved with the Pennsylvania 9-12 Project and some of them had the intention of having an event to coincide with the G-20 to educate people about the conservative side of the economic picture. I advised her to disuade them from having it at the same time as it had the potential to fuel a clash and that would be counterproductive to their cause, one I believe in personally. Long story short, they ended up cancelling it, and wisely I might add.

A number of cities turned down this opportunity, but our leaders (and I use the word loosely) saw fit to say "Come on down".

During one of our classes preparing for the upcoming fiasco, we were given an quote from the epilogue of the book the former police chief of Seattle wrote about the riots during the World Trade Organization conference there in 1999. He said that if any other city was offered the chance to host anything like what they did, the response should be "No, thank you".

I cannot wait until September's over!!
    Last edited by officer64; August 28th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by officer64 View Post
    A number of cities turned down this opportunity, but our leaders (and I use the word loosely) saw fit to say "Come on down".

During one of our classes preparing for the upcoming fiasco, we were given an quote from the epilogue of the book the former police chief of Seattle wrote about the riots during the World Trade Organization conference there in 1999. He said that if any other city was offered the chance to host anything like what they did, the response should be "No, thank you".

I cannot wait until September's over!!
    It's funny how some people just can't/won't learn from others' mistakes.

You see it time and time again. I don't know if it's arrogance, stupidity, or just general incompetence. They'll say, "but we can do it better." Or, "we won't make those same mistakes" and history proves them wrong.

The administration here at work does it all the time. A lot of time and money wasted and they get the same damn results everybody else got, which is generally failure.
    The real answer is 42.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by officer64 View Post
    Peaceandlove, whether you were kidding or not about going Downtown, that's likely the last place you want to be. Trust me on this one.

My mother in law is very heavily involved with the Pennsylvania 9-12 Project and some of them had the intention of having an event to coincide with the G-20 to educate people about the conservative side of the economic picture.
    Point taken. I'll just watch it from TV.
    Maybe the rest of us will just learn to enjoy a week off.

(Allegheny County)

If this thing blows up in Pittsburgh's face at least it will be hysterical on how Luke, Dan and Ed will try to blame this on someone other than themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast