Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Ice Bucket Challenge with Full-Auto!!!

I know the web is POLLUTED with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It's a great cause so we wanted to add a wrinkle to keep it fresh and keep the donations rolling in. Nothing beats full-auto fun! Check out our take on the challenge and go to www.alsa.org to give.

Default Re: Ice Bucket Challenge with Full-Auto!!!

everyone needs to research this ALSA.ORG before they decide to donate, they are real shady on dealign with the money they bring in. Their main CEO make close to $300k a year with the total foundation spending close to $6 million in salaries, another $6 million in various expenses and only giving $4.2 million back to research ot of the $19.7 million taken in last year. It's a shame when the expenses and salaries are more than what is given back........

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    everyone needs to research this ALSA.ORG before they decide to donate, they are real shady on dealign with the money they bring in. Their main CEO make close to $300k a year with the total foundation spending close to $6 million in salaries, another $6 million in various expenses and only giving $4.2 million back to research ot of the $19.7 million taken in last year. It's a shame when the expenses and salaries are more than what is given back........
    Wow...I knew about their funding of aborted fetus research but this is just way over the line with only 25% of the funds donated actually going to the intended purpose.

(Schuylkill County)

I thought this was going to be a guy turning an ice bucket into Swiss cheese.

(Allegheny County)

You want to provide a link to back that up cause I'm not finding it.
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Chester County)

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...6#.U_fW9sU7uSo

Financial Performance Metrics
    Program Expenses
    (Percent of the charity’s budget spent on the programs
    and services it delivers) 72.4%
    Administrative Expenses 11.0%
    Fundraising Expenses 16.5%
    Fundraising Efficiency $0.16
    Primary Revenue Growth 9.9%
    Program Expenses Growth 11.5%
    Working Capital Ratio (years) 0.83
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Northampton County)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

This is a screen shot of their 2012 financials. Under 10% goes to research. This is exactly why I wont be donating to this charity.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Mifflin County)

I don't know where you're getting that $6 million figure. I'm getting mine from Charity Navigator, which lists information for ALSA's fiscal year ending 1/2013. Yes, the CEO makes approx $300k, but total administrative expenses (salaries and other expenses) is only about $2.2 million. That $300k for a CEO is in line with some other large non-profits, the CEO of The Wounded Warrior Project makes over $300k, for example.

Their program expenses (money spent "on the cause") were $14.3 million, 72.4% of their budget. A higher percentage than some other charities spend on program expenses.

EDIT: Going on their website (www.alsa.org) they have information listed for fiscal year ending 1/2014. Administrative expenses are down to $1.9 million. Research was 7.2 million, 28% of their budget. Patient and community services was $5.1 million, 19% of their budget.

That said, I do think people should do their research before donating to any charity. There are multiple charities out there that support ALS, I personally plan to donate to one of the others.
    Last edited by IV_Warrior; August 24th, 2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: updated information