Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default A different "home invasion" scenario here in PA

I heard about this today and found it somewhat of a different "home invasion" scenario and thought it might be interesting for other forum members to weigh in with what legalities they think might come into play or what action they might take.

Wednesday night a Wellsboro couple came home to find they'd been kicked out of their own house and someone else was moving in.

Pennsylvania State Police say Gary Husted, 68, from Tioga entered a home in Delmar Township using a key he had gotten from a mutual connection.

Once inside, he began moving the home owner's property out-and his own in.

The couple living there found their belongings under a tarp outside their home, with a car in their driveway. Husted was inside and refused to leave.

The owners called police and Husted was taken into custody.

He is charged with burglary and theft among other charges

http://www.wnbt.net/news.htm

Personally myself I would probably look at this as a burglary in progress and take appropriate action if the perp did not respond to verbal commands to leave.

Default Re: A different "home invasion" scenario here in PA

I too would look at this as a hostile situation, and act accordingly.

Very bizarre BTW.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

I wonder if he thought the owners would be away long enough for him to make a claim to residency. There's been a few stories recently where people have moved in as hired help or renters only to say we're not working or paying our rent. They stay long enough that the homeowners only recourse is to proceed with a lengthy eviction process. 'Free' housing for 2-3 months.

(Jefferson County)

Burglary requires the unlawful entrance with intent to commit a crime. An unknowing landlord doing such probably doesn't have intent, therefor it wouldn't be a burglary.

Now, he would be guilty of other violations. There is a lawful method of eviction, and if a landlord doesn't follow the rules he can be in hot water.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Never heard of that here in the States. I know people that have summer homes in places like Dominican Republic where they have to have "house sitters" when they are not there because if a house is left vacant for so long, squatters can move in and take claim - lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(York County)

Me: leave now
    Squatter: no
    bust 1ST KNEE
    ME: leave
    Squatter: no
    Me: bust 2nd knee - leave
    Squatter: Umm...no

Me: digs hole......solves problem

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Burglary requires the unlawful entrance with intent to commit a crime. An unknowing landlord doing such probably doesn't have intent, therefor it wouldn't be a burglary.

Now, he would be guilty of other violations. There is a lawful method of eviction, and if a landlord doesn't follow the rules he can be in hot water.
    But they are not there legally. I would think tin at least trespassing. There must be something on the books about taking possession of another's property too if not burglary.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Lancaster County)

Apologize and load my crap up and get off the other persons property. Find a nicer place more to my liking and move their stuff outside and cover it with a tarp. Move my stuff in.

(Tioga County)

There are lots of summer or hunting cabins up here or just regular homes people visit on a regular basis and they live elsewhere. There seem to be few issues though. A few years ago there was a gang of clowns ripping out piping and other metal from cabins as well as stealing other things of value. The PSP eventually found them out.

Definitely a bizarre case. It does appear the victims are the homeowners. But the question is why the home key was given to the perp by another party and what the story is on all that.

My view on this and based on what I know with the law is that if it's my home, I return home to a burglary in progress with an offender inside of the home, the law assumes the home invader is there to commit a violent felony and I can respond with a use of force.

(Philadelphia County)

The likelihood of this not ending in the use of force should something like this happen to me is very, very slim. Really, what the hell do these assholes think they can get away with? I don't even think I would have shot him. Someone like this needs a good ass kicking and a couple miles dangling from a chain hooked up to a car.

I'm happy the homeowner got this taken care of, but something is really weird here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast