Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Where to buy gun rests for gun cabinet?

OK guys, where can I get some gun rests like these for my gun closet project? These are magnetic but I need regular surface mount (screw fastened would be great) I also need spaces for about 20 guns!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=543962

The rests could even be hard foam or plastic like Stack-On cabinets use. I could make them from wood, but I just don't have time or tools handy.

Any ideas...?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Where to buy gun rests for gun cabinet?

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRacks.htm It looks like you'd just want the 'top bracket' pieces. I've never seen this site though, so I'm not sure about ordering from it.

(Westmoreland County)

Interesting but pricey...I may have to bit the bullet and build one. I would like to have the bottom base as well (keep the guns up off of the floor)

(Allegheny County)

Another idea that I just thought might work would be go to the local gun shop of your choice. They probably have a ton of these mounted around the store for their rifle displays. Ask where they got them. It may be some local woodworker that you could get ahold of.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Another idea that I just thought might work would be go to the local gun shop of your choice. They probably have a ton of these mounted around the store for their rifle displays. Ask where they got them. It may be some local woodworker that you could get ahold of.
    Ha, good idea! They have to get them some where!

(Chester County)

If you have access to a jigsaw, all you need is a 1x4 or 5/4x4 board from any Lowes or HD and some 3/4" or 1" felt ribbon that is sticky on one side available at craft or fabric stores. Simply cut the pattern you wish and then press the felt onto the curves.

I have made these for relatives and friends. If you get creative you can adjust the spacing, width, and depth of the various slots to allow for scoped weapons, small plinkers, shotguns, etc. I lay out the firearms ahead of time, finding the most compact arrangement where each weapon will be protected from the others, and then it's a fairly simple matter to create your own.

Of course, you must remember to leave at least a couple extra slots for future acquisitions.

ETA: Just make sure that you get a hardwood board, such as oak or poplar. If you use pine, especially the junk available at a "home improvement warehouse", the tips of the dividers will split across the grain very easily, ruining your work.
    Last edited by PCAviator; July 30th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.