Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How many consider the platform when buying a weapon?

I see allot of debates on what pistol/rifle/shotgun/etc I should buy for carry/home defense/sport/etc.

Virtually always the discussion revolves around the features of the firearm itself and rarely do I see discussion about what type of holsters, accessories or upgrades are available for a given weapon before purchase.

But the gun is only part of a full weapon platform, when you consider that a holster is mandatory for carry and allot of people want upgrades and accessories to suite there specific wants and needs in a weapon platform.

The last two guns I purchased where for the specific purpose of carry and home defense. A Ruger LCP an a S&W M&P 40FS. Before buying either I had a short list of possible holsters, accessories, and possible weapon upgrades. I was not just looking at the weapon itself but rather the total package of what I would need for it to serve its intended purpose.

Is anyone else out there like me and takes this into consideration before buying a weapon?

Obviously if your buying for the purposes of collecting this might not apply.

Right now my LCP has a CT Laser and I use a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster, my M&P 40 has a TLR-2s Light/Laser for home defense and a Safariland ALS holster (without the TLR-2s) for range and carry.

Default Re: How many consider the platform when buying a weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I see allot of debates on what pistol/rifle/shotgun/etc I should buy for carry/home defense/sport/etc.

Virtually always the discussion revolves around the features of the firearm itself and rarely do I see discussion about what type of holsters, accessories or upgrades are available for a given weapon before purchase.

But the gun is only part of a full weapon platform, when you consider that a holster is mandatory for carry and allot of people want upgrades and accessories to suite there specific wants and needs in a weapon platform.

The last two guns I purchased where for the specific purpose of carry and home defense. A Ruger LCP an a S&W M&P 40FS. Before buying either I had a short list of possible holsters, accessories, and possible weapon upgrades. I was not just looking at the weapon itself but rather the total package of what I would need for it to serve its intended purpose.

Is anyone else out there like me and takes this into consideration before buying a weapon?

Right now my LCP has a CT Laser and I use a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster, my M&P 40 has a TLR-2s Light/Laser for home defense and a Safariland ALS holster (without the TLR-2s) for range and carry.
    I do. One of my last 5 purchases was a gun specific to fitting in my holster system that I use... SERPA. I usually get ahead of my self and find accessories before I even buy the gun sometimes haha. Don't see any reason why you shouldn't though!

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: How many consider the platform when buying a weapon?

What else IS there to consider?

Sig & Colt both make .45 acp pistols - Norinco & BCM made/make .223 rifles. Accoutrements for each pair are completely different though. From mags to furniture to rail systems, the only thing in common with each pair is ammo.

So yes - platform IS everything.

(York County)

War Wagon nailed it. Not too much more to be said on the matter.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Northampton County)

I got a lot of weapons around here and I haven't seen a "platform" lately. Except my extra large toilet.

(Jefferson County)

I just buy something because I want it. Even if there isn't a specific holster for it, Uncle Mikes makes something that will fit it if it's a handgun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Depends on why I'm buying it. For my carry firearm(s), the availability, quantity, and quality of accessories and replacement parts fit into my decision process. For my range guns, the quality of the firearm itself was the primary decider, though there are other reasons to buy range guns as well. In at least one case, I bought it because of the "moment in time" the firearm represented. That said, at least one of my range guns can be pressed into duty as a carry piece without any difficulty. The quality in question is undoubtedly high enough, and the accessories and replacement parts are certainly available enough, too.

When you pick the right tools, the rest falls into place.

(Beaver County)

Absolutely! I've bought guns based on the availability of aftermarket parts. My 870s come to mind. I've also decided not to buy a few because the lack of custom holsters, expensive extra magazines, so on and so forth. I wanted a Bersa Thunder BADLY for a while and why did I decide not to buy one? Extra mags are $50-60! I pay $28 or so for factory original XD .45 magazines. I think my next gun is going to be a Beretta 92F because they're ridiculously beautiful, there's a Blackhawk SERPA holster out there for it and there are 20 and 30+ round magazines out there for it. When I buy a shotgun, it has to have a magazine extension option or I'm probably not going to be interested. Even people who own a gun for the sole purpose of defense need to make changes or upgrades sometimes (My stepmom needed a 12" LOP stock for her Mossy 500) so this is definitely something important to consider when buying a gun.

I hear what you're saying, but at the same time, if you're willing to pay for custom work, you can get anything you want made for it.

My favorite pistol is the HK P7. It was designed and built long before rails existed. Long before lasers were common. So to get the features i wanted, i had to have the features i want added by a top pistol smith.

You spends your money, and if you spends enough of it, you gets exactly what you want. What i wanted was an HK P7 with a rail mounted Viridian C5L laser/strobe combo. $1500 later, i have it.

PS: I also carry a LCP with a CT laser, but i use a Kel Tec P3At belt clip with mine.
    Last edited by Valorius; June 24th, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

(Monroe County)

I never see guns as "platforms" i think it is Amatuerish and parochial, for me all my guns have a different personality, feel, place, and use or non use, take for example my collection of vintage Savage model 24, dont know what i'll use them for but i like the way they look, feel and shoot in spit of the fact that they were made in the 40's and 50's based on 200 year old technology. For me a firearm is never trivial or parochial as to be regarded as a mere "platform"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast