Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Going to Get My First Gun

I have a bunch of free time so I'm going down to Cabela's and check out some handguns (semi-auto only for now). It will be my first time buying a gun. (Actually, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to buy one since I'm a PA resident but I'm in IL right now. I'll have to see what they say).

I have been following the forum for awhile now and I'm leaning towards a Glock gen 4 either 17 or 19. I know some people are against Glocks as a first gun since it lacks a manual safety, but I don't think I have to have a manual safety for it to be newbie friendly.

Either way, I'm set on a 9mm . I'm also looking at the FNP or FNX, HK USP, and I'm open for recommendations.

Cheers

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Going to Get My First Gun

If you are planning on carrying concealed, be aware that the Glock17 can be difficult to conceal because of it's size. If you're a large person, then you'll have a better chance at concealing, but if of average or smaller size, you'll probably have a tough time.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

When I bought my G30 (my first pistol), people advised against it because it didn't have a safety. If you don't put your finger on the trigger, it won't fire. Glock's make great "first guns" despite the lack of safety. As a matter of fact, IMO, it makes you safer, because it doesn't have a safety, you're forced to be extra cautious. G17 will be hefty. G19's are ideal size for CC.

Don't know about FN's, but Hk's are expensive, but they're DAMN fine pistols. I hear the FN's are great.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    (Actually, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to buy one since I'm a PA resident but I'm in IL right now. I'll have to see what they say).
    You may have no problem "buying" it, but it will need to be shipped to a FFL in your state of residence before you can actually take delivery of it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Schuylkill County)

I love my USP just got another today! P30 is really nice as well.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    When I bought my G30 (my first pistol), people advised against it because it didn't have a safety. If you don't put your finger on the trigger, it won't fire. Glock's make great "first guns" despite the lack of safety. As a matter of fact, IMO, it makes you safer, because it doesn't have a safety, you're forced to be extra cautious. G17 will be hefty. G19's are ideal size for CC.

Don't know about FN's, but Hk's are expensive, but they're DAMN fine pistols. I hear the FN's are great.
    I agree with this statement completely. A safety of any sort should never be a substitute for proper gun safety. As long as you learn the rules and follow them religiously you will remain safe.

I recently purchased my first handgun (Springfield XDm 9mm Compact) that has no manual safety. It does have a 1911 style grip safety as well as a trigger safety, but again neither of these are substitutes for proper gun safety.

I also notice that you are in the area. There are some local shops that are closer than Cabel's and may offer better pricing. My XDm was purchased from King's Shooter Supply just outside of KOP. I was actually just in there again today looking at buying another handgun. Friendly, knowledgeable people and they have a great selection (Plenty of Glocks too).

There is one section that is dedicated to experiences with different shops, so that is worth checking out.
    Last edited by codename; June 4th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You may have no problem "buying" it, but it will need to be shipped to a FFL in your state of residence before you can actually take delivery of it.
    depends on why he is in illinois. college? hes good to go if the illini are good with that. military? good to go.

(Chester County)

I have small/medium hands so I was leaning towards the 19.

Is a chain store like Cabela willing to ship to a PA FFL? So will I need to contact a FFL in PA or they can just send to any random one. I'm in IL for work related (non mil.), will be here for 2 months.
    Last edited by Flak; June 4th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    depends on why he is in illinois. college? hes good to go if the illini are good with that. military? good to go.
    OP says he's a "PA resident" currently located in IL. I'll accept the military exception, though I don't have a cite for it handy, but I'm unaware of federal law that recognizes a student as a "resident" of the state where they are attending school if they also maintain residency in their 'home state.' Got a citation for that?

IMO, IL's view of the situation is irrelevant. We're dealing with federal law here.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html
    § 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 4th, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Enjoy your first purchase (whatever you choose). I bought my first gun a little over a year ago and now have three...

I carry a G17 in the winter with no problem, but it is mostly a nightstand and range gun in the summer. A quality holster is key here for EDC. I didn't feel that a G19 was all that much easier to conceal, so I went with the full size model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast