Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default aparrently i am now a registered drug user!

i went into cvs pharmacy today to get more of my alavert allergy medicine since it has worked so well for me in the past. well they were all out of that one, and i saw a card for an allergy/sinus NON-DROWSY alavert that was available behind the pharmacy counter.

so i went up to the counter and asked the tech for the pills.she asked for my license, (which i assumed was to check my age) flipped it over and scanned it,(which i assumed was for the same reason) and pointed to the keypad and said.."sign there".

i looked down and read that according to federal law, the license of anyone purchasing medicine containing pseudoephedrine must be "logged". my problem is that i was not made aware of this BEFORE my license was scanned!..no signs, no verbal, so basically , whether i refused to buy it or not, my license was already scanned.

can anyone shed light as to why they do this and what it means?

i have never had to have my license scanned for something at the pharmacy before, and if they had my medicine in stock i would have not purchased this other one.i find this awfully ridiculous , especially for a non-drowsy medicine.

i don't see the reason for automatically "logging" someones license unless they've been convicted of something, and had i been aware of this prior to it being scanned, i would not have bought it.

any thoughts are welcome!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: aparrently i am now a registered drug user!

If you claim to get more than two colds a year, you are obviously a meth cook.

(Northampton County)

I don't know the legality of it, but it is to control the production of methamphetamines in PA. Pseudophedrine, the active ingredient in some (not regulated) cold/allergy medications can be used to make meth, and the logging of it is to watch the people are hitting every drug store in town buying a few boxes under the assumption that they are probably going to make meth out of it.

It is not to verify age, it records your purchase and is used to track people that are buying an 'excessive' amount. They should be required to tell you that it will be recorded though.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by US Militiaman View Post
    I don't know the legality of it, but it is to control the production of methamphetamines in PA. Pseudophedrine, the active ingredient in some (not regulated) cold/allergy medications can be used to make meth, and the logging of it is to watch the people are hitting every drug store in town buying a few boxes under the assumption that they are probably going to make meth out of it.

It is not to verify age, it records your purchase and is used to track people that are buying an 'excessive' amount. They should be required to tell you that it will be recorded though.
    IIRC, this is not PA law, but federal law. In fact, I believe it's an extension of the Patriot Act.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    IIRC, this is not PA law, but federal law. In fact, I believe it's an extension of the Patriot Act.
    you are correct

the "combat mephamphetamine epidemic act" was tagged on to the patriot act.

LE will only check those logs as part of an investigation, they arent getting sent in to the .gov or anything like that. Its just another federally manadated useless paperwork burden on bussiness.

(Venango County)

Doesn't the system do more than log you? I was under the impression that you can only buy so much in a year, then it turns you down.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    i went into cvs pharmacy today to get more of my alavert allergy medicine since it has worked so well for me in the past. well they were all out of that one, and i saw a card for an allergy/sinus NON-DROWSY alavert that was available behind the pharmacy counter.

so i went up to the counter and asked the tech for the pills.she asked for my license, (which i assumed was to check my age) flipped it over and scanned it,(which i assumed was for the same reason) and pointed to the keypad and said.."sign there".

i looked down and read that according to federal law, the license of anyone purchasing medicine containing pseudoephedrine must be "logged". my problem is that i was not made aware of this BEFORE my license was scanned!..no signs, no verbal, so basically , whether i refused to buy it or not, my license was already scanned.

can anyone shed light as to why they do this and what it means?

i have never had to have my license scanned for something at the pharmacy before, and if they had my medicine in stock i would have not purchased this other one.i find this awfully ridiculous , especially for a non-drowsy medicine.

i don't see the reason for automatically "logging" someones license unless they've been convicted of something, and had i been aware of this prior to it being scanned, i would not have bought it.

any thoughts are welcome!
    Oh no You may as well just turn in your LTCF now... since you are now a "registered drug user"

(York County)

I sometimes get Tylenol's Simply Sleep, which is just Diphenhydramine, an antihistamine that makes you drowsy and helps you sleep. Everytime i buy it, usually at Giant, the cashier asks for my License, but they never scan my card. When i get Simply Sleep at Rite Aid, they only ask for proof of ID, they dont scan my license. When i go to Wal Mart, its the same thing. This would lead me to believe that either its not a federal law to scan your license or it is and these stores just arent following protocol.

(Philadelphia County)

This happens when I need to get Sudafed. It is a bit unnerving, considering that there are more threatening issues.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    I sometimes get Tylenol's Simply Sleep, which is just Diphenhydramine, an antihistamine that makes you drowsy and helps you sleep. Everytime i buy it, usually at Giant, the cashier asks for my License, but they never scan my card. When i get Simply Sleep at Rite Aid, they only ask for proof of ID, they dont scan my license. When i go to Wal Mart, its the same thing. This would lead me to believe that either its not a federal law to scan your license or it is and these stores just arent following protocol.
    That may be to verify age, as you need to be a certain age to purchase certain medications. However, everywhere I have gone to purchase Pseudophedrine containing products (wow, that makes me sound like I buy it all the time haha) they have scanned my license and made me sign something.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast