Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Anyone in the trucking industry?

Looking for referrals from any members here. I've been considering a job change as an on-the road driver and would like to know if anyone knows any good trucking companies in PA that could be hiring? I'm up for the task; I've personally driven 5 times zone, 3 countries (CA, MX, and US), 46 states all on my leisure in the last 5 years and I've been thinking of doing it fulltime while getting paid. This desk job I have is getting old. Thanks
    Last edited by dlclarkii; July 27th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.

Default Re: Anyone in the trucking industry?

Do you have your class "A" CDL? Also most companies will not hire you unless you have 2 years verifiable experiance (insurance purposes) There are exceptions to this though. Some of the larger companies will hire and train you. I have driven OTR and local and have been in the business for over 18 years, just in case you were wondering.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Driver400 View Post
    Do you have your class "A" CDL? Also most companies will not hire you unless you have 2 years verifiable experiance (insurance purposes) There are exceptions to this though. Some of the larger companies will hire and train you. I have driven OTR and local and have been in the business for over 18 years, just in case you were wondering.
    No, I don't have my CDL and I would need training. TY.

(Monroe County)

I had 2 tractors leased to the OO division for 10 years. This is the ONLY company training program I would recommend and one of the few freight companies I would recommend. Forget long haul freight it is cheap and drivers make crap.
    A. Duie Pyle
    http://www.aduiepyle.com/publicdocs/drivingAcademy.aspx

(Philadelphia County)

I've always thought it would be cool to be a truck driver.

(Luzerne County)

Try Ward Trucking.

You don't need to know how to follow directions, you can have zero map skills. Personality of a potato encouraged. Intelligence/reading skills highly discouraged. Ability to back up a trailer to a dock not required. Must have killer instinct on where to park that completely shuts down plant's entire S/R/ warehouse depts.

Grumbly, unintelligible voice a plus when telephoning plants for directions. Comprehension of North/South/East/West absolutely discouraged.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    I had 2 tractors leased to the OO division for 10 years. This is the ONLY company training program I would recommend and one of the few freight companies I would recommend. Forget long haul freight it is cheap and drivers make crap.
    A. Duie Pyle
    http://www.aduiepyle.com/publicdocs/drivingAcademy.aspx
    I have to admit that I've been to seminars w/ people from Pyle and they are a quality company. They are also a PA company, I think the main office is in West Chester.

Exbiker is right, you don't want to do longhaul!

Most company training schools mean you are an indentured servant for a fixed amount of time. Should you get tired of being treated like just another part of the truck & quit, you will owe the entire exhorbantant cost of their school. Schneider is one like that.

Others place you, team, with a driver instructor that makes the Marquis De Sade look like the tooth fairy. Werner is one like that.

Most moderate sized companies are subject to the whims of their insurance providers. Most want 23yrs old w/ 2 years experience, and limit the amount of minor tickets/accidents on your record. No DUI for 60 months & no major violations during the past 36 months.

Some want the experience in the same type equipment as that operated by their insured. I was the safety director for an inter-modal carrier and my insurance stated that 5 years as a flat bedder didn't count if you wanted to be one of our pier rats.

Gee a container chassis is a floorless flatbed w/ hold down devices to secure the container...I still can't see the difference as a guy who chained and tarped flatbeds w/ out falling on his head should be detail oriented enough to make sure (4) latches are fastened...and we paid them over $800,000.00 a year to provide $1 million liability plus limited coverage on the interchanged equipment @ $1,000.00 deductable for around 150 trucks.

It can be a good living, afterall there isn't that much you have that didn't ride on/in a truck. Right now I'm looking for work [since March] as the owner of my last company didn't appreciate the $17,000.00 fines he got from the DOT over something he wouldn't let me correct [False logs] while ignoring that everything else was found to be in compliance...If 30 trucks hauled two extra loads a month, those silly hours of service rules could cost him alot of money & I'm sure he made alot more than the fine...but he was pissed as he was planing to buy a boat...kinda like the one Tony Soprano had...I guess the fine might have been his down payment...
    Last edited by wis bang; July 27th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post

It can be a good living, afterall there isn't that much you have that didn't ride on/in a truck. Right now I'm looking for work [since March] as the owner of my last company didn't appreciate the $17,000.00 fines he got from the DOT over something he wouldn't let me correct [False logs] while ignoring that everything else was found to be in compliance...If 30 trucks hauled two extra loads a month, those silly hours of service rules could cost him alot of money & I'm sure he made alot more than the fine...but he was pissed as he was planing to buy a boat...kinda like the one Tony Soprano had...I guess the fine might have been his down payment...

Wasn`t Ferruggio or Road Link was it?

I was with Farruggio's for 10 years.

(Lancaster County)

Thank you for the information. Something I'll consider if plan A doesn't work out for me. Next week I'll be unemployeed, six years at PSU, a master degree, and a professional engineering license doesn't mean shit anymore. I've about had it with engineering and would like to get away from the desk. I'm currently 29 with no DUIs and (2) speeding tickets, the last ticket was 5 years ago so I have a clean record. Something to consider if I can't find another engineering job. I'll keep the replies in mind. TY.
    Last edited by dlclarkii; July 27th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast