Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Thumbs down Cash for Clunkers

Am I the only one who thinks this is program is highly retarded?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Cash for Clunkers

Your going to have to give a bit more detail on why you think it's "retarded" so that we can have a discussion.

It's just more of the government trying to get We The People to willfully do what they want us to do.

I have a 93 that gets around 8mpg and an 04 that gets around 20mpg. The government would sooner get my guns than my cars, and that's only because I'd be holding the gun when they came for the car.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Papuppyowner View Post
    Your going to have to give a bit more detail on why you think it's "retarded" so that we can have a discussion.
    How about everything about it?

You have to destroy the 'clunker' once you trade it in. I know they're trying to help the environment ( ) with this program, but how much iron needed to be mined to make that car which is now going to be a block of junk? Instead of reselling (RECYCLING) the 'clunker' to another person (presumably of low income - yeah, the govt. is looking out for the 'poor' all right), the car is turned into scrap.

Then you have to buy a new car. More materials needed to be mined and more energy used to make that new car. Instead of buying a used car, giving it new life, and conserving some resources.

The rules are myriad, and I don't even know 'em all. I know you don't get $4500 + the value of the trade - you get $XXXX to make your trade worth $4500. I think most people are confused about that.

But really, the whole premise that this will 'jumpstart' the economy is ridiculous. I guess they figure a couple hundred thousand sales will keep the automakers afloat - if that's the case, why didn't they just apply this to American makers (i.e. Big 3)? I'm honestly suprised they didn't just apply it to Govt. Motors (GM).

(Bucks County)

O..O...O..more Gubment freebies....The Government is using YOUR tax money for this garbage. Or is it the money they printed in the basement?? Or is it the taxing the rich scheme? Or is it the carbon tax scheme?? Or...Or ..Or...well either way you are gonna pay.

(Adams County)

The biggest irony of all is that the people who are driving the clunkers the .gov wants to replace, can't qualify for the loan.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Monroe County)

You are clearly missing it... duh!

1. Cash for Clunkers only takes cars and trucks off the road that pollute with poor gas mileage... thats how they got the whole thing approved, its all based on MPG (under 18 mpg and you need to get a vehicle with 22+ to qualify for the full amount

2. Its pushing lots of buyers to dealerships that are still open... this is in line with supporting those dealerships that were not closed as you can't use this program on used vehicles (bullshit) even if they qualify under MPG requirements, or even age!

3. Getting people to buy cars helps the gov't not look as bad since they own 2 of the major car companies... sadly most people are buying cars that are not american

As a consumer keep in mind that the deals are going to get BETTER as this goes on as companies make bids for you money. Chrysler (since they don't need to make money) is DOUBLING the cash for clunkers discounts, so you get up to 9k off a new vehicle... thats 50% off on some of their models.

its another case of The public paying for the Public Good! (Duh!)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    The biggest irony of all is that the people who are driving the clunkers the .gov wants to replace, can't qualify for the loan.

camper
    Thats not really true... there are a lot of people (me included) who DO have vehicles that qualify and would qualify for the loans. I just don't want to pickup another loan... although I'm still considering getting my wife into a newer, more "reliable" car instead of her 10 year old Jeep...
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Thats not really true... there are a lot of people (me included) who DO have vehicles that qualify and would qualify for the loans. I just don't want to pickup another loan... although I'm still considering getting my wife into a newer, more "reliable" car instead of her 10 year old Jeep...
    In other words, a Toyota?

(Westmoreland County)

Just wondering what Bureaucrat Agency , is going to stand around to confirm Cars are compacted . see more jobs.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast