Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default 1911 grip safety...

My beloved DW CBOB's grip safety failed.
    Hammar drop if I pull trigger without depressing gripsafety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqGL_5AI4Yo

This is clearly a warrenty issue, and while I know they'll fix it right, after I'm seening this post(http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=183078) over at 1911forum.com, I'm wondering if just installing new gripsafety may just be the way to go, then send it back for same slappy fitted gripsafety, as every DW 1911 I've seen had poo fit grip safety.

I mean GS fitment on my gun - Unlike the rest of weapon, which is increadibly tight - is best discribed as "very poor". I mean I've seen some sub $500 1911 with better fitted grip safety then this.

But I'm not sure if grip safety is lose, because EB part which DW use is poorly build(I was told that EB parts tolarance can varies alot), or frame opening is too wide, which no amount of fitting new GS is gonna help.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 1911 grip safety...

Well you could send it back .....or have a local smith fit a grip safety. I fit an Ed Brown grip safety to one of my guns......it runs about .620 in width and fits tightly. Is your frame substantially wider?

In the meantime, you can take your existing grip safety off and peen the arm so you have engagement again. A quick pinch in a vise works well.

I's sedn it back and see if you get lucky....for free. If not, fit one locally.

Lycancheapbastardthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

damn, you have not had good 1911 luck !

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    damn, you have not had good 1911 luck !

No shit... I had some bad luck with my first 1911(SA GI45), then my 2nd(Para 1911)m which I kick my ass for getting rid of, then 3rd(SA1911 Loaded SS) was no good, then my DW, which is accurate, reliable, and high quality, except this!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Well you could send it back .....or have a local smith fit a grip safety. I fit an Ed Brown grip safety to one of my guns......it runs about .620 in width and fits tightly. Is your frame substantially wider?
    I have to check that tomorrow.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    No shit... I had some bad luck with my first 1911(SA GI45), then my 2nd(Para 1911)m which I kick my ass for getting rid of, then 3rd(SA1911 Loaded SS) was no good, then my DW, which is accurate, reliable, and high quality, except this!
    thought you had a TRP ?
    that almost stopped me from buying one.

Glad I did
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...field-trp.html

If you got the CBOB from a local shop will they take care of it? I have had to take 1 gun back to the shop (ACE) where i bought it and they handled the whole shipping and repairs thing and had it back to me in like 2 weeks.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    thought you had a TRP ?
    that almost stopped me from buying one.

Glad I did
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...field-trp.html

If you got the CBOB from a local shop will they take care of it? I have had to take 1 gun back to the shop (ACE) where i bought it and they handled the whole shipping and repairs thing and had it back to me in like 2 weeks.

Nope it was Stainless Steel Loaded.
    Was one heck of nice looking firearm tho. Just didn't shoot that good.

I could have my shop send it out. I'm sure that they will.
    But I'm trying to figure out of I should just fix it myself.
    The gun is new(bought mid Aug) and the grip safety does not function properly, and likely it never worked. I just never checked function of grip safety. Since it was new, I just sort of figure it works. But I guess I should have. There for I should return it to DW on their dime. I'm sure they'll take care of it - a safety that isn't, tends to get the attention of liability concious companies.

However, DW may well fix the grip safety but the fit (perceived tightness) may likely still be an issue in terms of appearance, but not opperation. In other words, if the fit (looseness) is merely an aesthetic issue and doesn't affect safety/operation, I may have to employ DW to custom fit it to your likeing which may be out-of-pocket expense for me.

I have the same problem and i spoke to a gunsmith at hemlock gun shop in pike county and he told me to replace the sear. hope this helped. Dan

(Luzerne County)

This will not help. But you are not the first that I have heard to have issues with the dan wesson 1911.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

Exclamation Re: 1911 grip safety...

Quote Originally Posted by xddan View Post
    I have the same problem and i spoke to a gunsmith at hemlock gun shop in pike county and he told me to replace the sear. hope this helped. Dan
    1911 sears are not "drop in" parts. I guess none are, really. You could get lucky, and have it work properly, with a decent pull out of the box, or the pistol may start firing bursts or go off when you drop the slide on the first round.

It sounds like it could be the sear, the hammer hooks, or the arm on the grip safety was cut too short. I would hope that there's someone at the gunshop that knows 1911s enough to check the grip safety function, at least.

The arm on the grip safety [when not depressed] should block the rear of the trigger bow before the trigger touches the sear. When you grip the pistol, and press in the grip safety, the arm is moved out of the way of the trigger bow.

Towards the bottom of this page, there are some more words and pictures to describe how the grip safety works.

Checking the sear and hammer is more difficult. Fitting and checking the hammer and sear takes up several pages in shop manuals.
    Last edited by Suburban; October 16th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.