Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Please help with some trigger nomenclature

I would like some help with identifying defferent terms we use to talk about different trigger stages, I have heard people talk about:

1: creep?: does this refer to the feeling you get as the sear drags over the hammer/striker?

2:break?: I assume this is used to describe how the sear actually releases the hammer/striker?

3: overtravel: this one I can figure out

4: reset?: I can figure this one out as well but would like to know the benefits of a faster reset.

5: take-up?: it seems to me this describes the area of trigger pull beginning with a trigger at rest and ending with the beginning of any possible creap (or in a great trigger, the break)

I'm sure there are others

Please educate me
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Please help with some trigger nomenclature

1: creep?: does this refer to the feeling you get as the sear drags over the hammer/striker?
    Creep is unwanted travel (movement) of the trigger as you apply pressure, after taking up the slack and before the break.

2. break?: I assume this is used to describe how the sear actually releases the hammer/striker?
    Break is the point in the trigger pull were the hammer/striker is released.

4: reset?: I can figure this one out as well but would like to know the benefits of a faster reset.
    Because you're firing a semi-auto, you must release the trigger to allow the sear to re-engage. But, you need to only release the trigger to the position where the actual re-engagement takes place. Even though the trigger isn't fully released, you may start your squeeze again to fire your next shot. The advantage is you're saved the additional "trigger pull weight" required to take up first stage or slack part of the trigger pull. You've also reduced part of the overall cycle time. Bullseye shooters learn the technique and use it during timed and rapid fire events, the first shot is fired and as the pistol is recoiling and recovering the shooter resets and is ready for the next shot as the sights return to the target. Works well for action shooters also and works for semi-auto rifles and shotguns as well as pistols.

5: take-up?:
    Is the slack during the first stage of the trigger pull and it occurs before the break.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".