Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default CC Pistol Choice

While I'm playing the waiting game for my LTCF I've been thinking a lot about what pistol I'm going to carry as my primary. Right now the only pistols that I own that would be practical are my Walther PP .32 and my Glock 19C. I love shooting the Walther but I feel it may be underpowered in some situations. The Glock 19C is a great shooter as well but it vents out a huge flame at night and that could create issues as well. I'm possibly interested in buying a new rig for the sole purpose of carry. Any ideas on either of these or anything on the list below would be a good choice? I'm open to other suggestions as well just has to be under $1,000 in price. Thanks in advance!

- any Sig in either .357sig or .40
    - smaller Kimber .45
    - Glock 23
    - Walther PPK .380
    Manus Haec Inimica Tyrannis

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: CC Pistol Choice

A carry pistol to me must be a balance that include all of these factors:

1. 100% reliable
    2. reasonable capacity
    3. acceptable SD caliber
    4. easily customizable
    5. relatively easy to conceal
    6. 100% reliable

In addition, you should be able to afford to practice with it. Taken all of those into consideration, I chose a Glock 26 and recommend that to you as well.

1. Never a single failure of any kind in well over 2000 rounds of all types of ammo
    2. 10+1 and reloads can be 12 in a factory mag with +2 extension
    3. 9mm is acceptable, we can debate this endlessly, but let's not and say we did. If you're considering a PPK, then 9mm should be plenty.
    4. The nicest thing about Glock is that they are so ubiquitous that accessories are everywhere. Holters, lasers, night sights are very easy to find.
    5. If a 5'6", 135lbs skinny me can conceal it rather easily, so can you (I'm assuming you're about my size and any excess weight is just a matter of differences in metabolism )

Given that you already have a G19, the G26 will feel very natural to you. The recoil is a little more snappy, but you are a marine, I'm sure you can handle it. I mean heck, my wife can handle the G26 with ease.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    A carry pistol to me must be a balance that include all of these factors:

1. 100% reliable
    2. reasonable capacity
    3. acceptable SD caliber
    4. easily customizable
    5. relatively easy to conceal
    6. 100% reliable
    7. Has good ergonomics, is comfortable for you to operate and shoot accurately. 1-6 mean a great deal but all are worthless if you can not "hit the broadside of a barn with you primary SD weapon. That said, if you like your 19, the 26 seems like a good option like mythaeus said. "

In addition, you should be able to afford to practice with it. Taken all of those into consideration, I chose a Glock 26 and recommend that to you as well.

1. Never a single failure of any kind in well over 2000 rounds of all types of ammo
    2. 10+1 and reloads can be 12 in a factory mag with +2 extension
    3. 9mm is acceptable, we can debate this endlessly, but let's not and say we did. If you're considering a PPK, then 9mm should be plenty.
    4. The nicest thing about Glock is that they are so ubiquitous that accessories are everywhere. Holters, lasers, night sights are very easy to find.
    5. If a 5'6", 135lbs skinny me can conceal it rather easily, so can you (I'm assuming you're about my size and any excess weight is just a matter of differences in metabolism )

Given that you already have a G19, the G26 will feel very natural to you. The recoil is a little more snappy, but you are a marine, I'm sure you can handle it. I mean heck, my wife can handle the G26 with ease.

Al
    Good Post, added my comment in RED

Fess

(Northampton County)

You definitely want to try them out...some feel right and some don't. The Glock is an excellent choice...I carry a G30 (.45ACP) and have never had a problem with quite a few rounds, accessories are everywhere, and they are real easy to break down (don't know about the others).

Whatever you choose, good luck!
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the advice! The only thing I have against the "baby Glock" is the grip feels small in my hands. I'm 5'11" 190lbs and it's not like my hands are of a disproportionately large size. Then again, I've never held/shot one with the grip extension so I'm going to take that into consideration when I go shopping for one. Any recommendations on holsters for the G26?
    Manus Haec Inimica Tyrannis

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HBGMarine View Post
    Thanks for the advice! The only thing I have against the "baby Glock" is the grip feels small in my hands. I'm 5'11" 190lbs and it's not like my hands are of a disproportionately large size. Then again, I've never held/shot one with the grip extension so I'm going to take that into consideration when I go shopping for one. Any recommendations on holsters for the G26?
    I was going to mention the Pierce grip extension, but thought it would be a given. I have the extensions and would DEFINITELY not like the G26 otherwise. I prefer the +0 for minimal protrusion, but still serves the purpose. I also like Pierce A LOT better than Scherer. I have a G19 and the G26 is definitely a very natural fit.

I have a Bianchi 100 leaver IWB holster and I love it. It's secure and soft on my back. Not much else to ask for of an IWB holster. I carry OWB once in a while with a Blackhawk Serpa, but since I have a Lasermax internal laser installed, the laser switch snags onto the holster and I had to file the switch down. On occasions, I also ankle carry in a Galco Ankle Glove, another very comfortable leather holster; however, it can be rather uncomfortable after 3 or 4 hours.

Al

(Luzerne County)

I cc a S&W model 442 revolver. It's small, light, and invisible when carrying. The 38 or 38 +p it uses will do the job. The only drawback is distance from the target. Over 30 feet is a tough target to hit. Keep in mind, however, most encounters are up close and personal. Capacity shouldn't be an issue. If you need more than 5, you're in trouble. And remember, revolvers don't jam. Just my $.02.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I cc a S&W model 442 revolver. It's small, light, and invisible when carrying. The 38 or 38 +p it uses will do the job. The only drawback is distance from the target. Over 30 feet is a tough target to hit. Keep in mind, however, most encounters are up close and personal. Capacity shouldn't be an issue. If you need more than 5, you're in trouble. And remember, revolvers don't jam. Just my $.02.
    By that argument, no one needs to carry a reload. Capacity won't matter IF you are always expecting 1 bad guy and that you are a going to remain calm and composed. I agree that it's 21' or less and it's point and shoot, but it doesn't hurt to squeeze off 5 and another 5 .

As far as jams, Glocks are like revolvers.

BTW, I know someone who hits 200+ yards target with his G26. Not the tightest grouping, but he hit 6 out of 10 rounds on a 2' x 4' target (I think it may have been smaller).

Al

(Lehigh County)

For what its worth, take a look at teh S&W MP9c as well. While the quantity of accessories isnt quite what Glock offers, Im really pleased with the 9c. Personally I like the astetics more than the Glock, and as for reliability - Ive got at least 1k rounds through mine with no issues.

Crimson Trace makes a nice grip as well, and there are some decent choices for holsters too (youll have to dig a little though, again, nowhere near as common as the Glock).

Im 6'2" and hide that all day long wiht an OWB Galco holster - was talking wiht a officer buddy of mine the other day and he had no clue I was armed untill I put my hand on my waist over the gun.... and then he mentioned "wow - that conceals great".... and wanted one for himself.

(Westmoreland County)

I'd say either pistol you have would be fine IF you feel comfortable with them.
    I carry a G32 and a keltec P3AT. If only one gun, then most of the time the G32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast