Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Bragging up my wife's score.....And a WARNING for ammo buyers.

Walked into a country Christmas store in small town Pennsylvania. They had some .22 ammo available. How much my wife asks? Two dollars a box was the reply. She bought 10 boxes.

I got VERY disturbing predictions from a LG/hardware store about some ammo virtually drying up in the future. Owners says the last lead smelting plant in the US was closed down with over regulation. He sees certain ammo such as .380 auto virtually unobtainable in the future.

It scares me. Backdoor control at its most effective.

What can we do about it?????????

Default Re: Bragging up my wife's score.....And a WARNING for ammo buyers.

I try not to fall for it, its supply and demand. If there is a dime to be made there is someone that will produce it, either from reconstituted lead such as batteries, or imports..
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Bucks County)

Wheel weights are of the right alloy to make hard cast bullets. Might want to start stockpiling them.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    I try not to fall for it, its supply and demand. If there is a dime to be made there is someone that will produce it, either from reconstituted lead such as batteries, or imports..
    I hope you are right. I also hope I am not "falling for anything". But I'd rather be found out wrong than without ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Walked into a country Christmas store in small town Pennsylvania. They had some .22 ammo available. How much my wife asks? Two dollars a box was the reply. She bought 10 boxes.

I got VERY disturbing predictions from a LG/hardware store about some ammo virtually drying up in the future. Owners says the last lead smelting plant in the US was closed down with over regulation. He sees certain ammo such as .380 auto virtually unobtainable in the future.

It scares me. Backdoor control at its most effective.

What can we do about it?????????
    It's just a scare tactic. That one single lead smelting plant was not supplying all the lead needs of the entire nation - we've been getting our lead from other nations for a while now. And even then, only an estimated 5% of the lead in our nation is used for ammunition - and that pretty much entirely comes from recycled lead (from car batteries and such).

Just think about it logically. We use A LOT of lead in this nation for A LOT of different things. Even running 24/7/365 with no holidays off, a single smelting plant would not meet our demands.

This was discussed in a thread a few weeks ago when the story was first announced. Follow-on reports indicated the processing plant did not provide lead to the ammo industry.

If that was the only lead smelting plant in the US then it should be obvious that the ammo industry already gets the majority of their supply elsewhere.
    According to the below source, lead consumption in the US in 2010 was over 2.4 million tons. Of that, the ammo industry only consumed 65.7 thousand tons.

http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commodi...d/lead_t5.html

The plant in question, Doe Run Company, had a capacity of 227,000 metric tons of lead annually but was limited by permit to 181,500 metric tons. 181K metric tons is a small percentage of our overall consumer demand.

Another factor that needs to be considered is Doe Run was a primary smelting facility. Secondary smelting facilities contine to operate. Secondary facilities are your lead recycling plants where we get the majority of our lead.

Will lead based product increase in cost? Probably, however many are spinning this based on fear and speculation.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    This was discussed in a thread a few weeks ago when the story was first announced. Follow-on reports indicated the processing plant did not provide lead to the ammo industry.

If that was the only lead smelting plant in the US then it should be obvious that the ammo industry already gets the majority of their supply elsewhere.
    According to the below source, lead consumption in the US in 2010 was over 2.4 million tons. Of that, the ammo industry only consumed 65.7 thousand tons.

http://www.indexmundi.com/en/commodi...d/lead_t5.html

The plant in question, Doe Run Company, had a capacity of 227,000 metric tons of lead annually but was limited by permit to 181,500 metric tons. 181K metric tons is a small percentage of our overall consumer demand.

Another factor that needs to be considered is Doe Run was a primary smelting facility. Secondary smelting facilities contine to operate. Secondary facilities are your lead recycling plants where we get the majority of our lead.

Will lead based product increase in cost? Probably, however many are spinning this based on fear and speculation.
    Thank you for your service. I surely don't mean to fear-monger here. I think I was just taken by the moment having just purchased a new .380 and contemplating very hard to find ammo. Your insight is appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Why can't we just melt the lead?

(Tioga County)

This whole lead thing is debunked as phony baloney. But it never ceases to amaze me how the internet will create some sort of story which will pass around as truthful gossip and people will never take a few minutes to do basic research to examine it. The DHS buying up billions of rounds of ammo is a great example.

Hokkmike Guest

wanneroo for what it is worth I got this from a LGS owner. where he got it from I do not know. Thinking about it though you are probably right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast