Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Caring for "old" shotgun

Hi, I'm a rookie at posting and my question must be "old stuff" to most chat room members. I recently came into possession of an Parker Bros double 12 ga damascus steel shotgun that was uncared for. I'm not sure if I want to fully restore it, BUT I hate seeing any firearm with all that rust. Is there a way/method to remove rust on the barrels without degrading their value too much?? THANKS
    (year - 1910, grade - GHE, bbl - 30",trigger - double, stock - walnut/pistol grip)

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Caring for "old" shotgun

Unless restored by a professional - usually, just about always, you destroy the value. Original condition is generally preferred on collector pieces.

depending on the type and stage of rust - a coat of oil to stop its progress will help. A classic patina is desired on old guns over rust, its a light grade of oxidation that helps preserve the iron/steel from farther stages. -just like bluing(yes, bluing is an oxidized surface).

Is the rust in the form of pitting? surface crusting? etc??

Post pics if you can.

Thanks Knight0334, for the info.
    Not sure I know how to post pic, but here goes.

(Jefferson County)

If you're showing me the "worst" of the rusting - then you're in decent shape. You have some really minor pitting. Its mostly at patina now. Patina will have a dark gray to tanish brown coloring.

If you can, keep bare hands off the metal. Oils and salts from your body will accelerate rust. Coat it with a good rust inhibiting oil, then keep it in a gun cabinet somewhat free from dust. If if you strip the rust from the metal - you create a bare spot for it to start up again. Coat the "crusty" spots with oil and let it soak in. It will help neutralize the electrolyte that is causing the rust(salt from sweat, residue from black power, etc).

On a side note: give it to me. lol I'll take good care of that thing. lol

The metal from those pics is in very nice shape.. Hopefully the wood is somewhat fair as well.

(Northampton County)

Localboy,
    From the pictures you posted - I'd say you DO NOT have a rusting problem - looks to be only the "patina" Knight spoke of. You DO NOT want to do anything agressive to that piece. Get yourself a good quality gun oil - I use RemOil on all my older guns, even shotguns from as early as 1880s. Give it a good heavy application and let it sit for a day or two. Then wipe the metal down with a soft (flannel if you have it) cloth. Parker double barrel shotguns are worth lots of $$$$$$$. You have a valuable piece, don't do anything to screw it up!
    Go to one of the Web auction site (gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com or antiqueguns.com, etc.) and do a search on 'Parker' to get an idea of what your piece is worth.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Localboy,
    From the pictures you posted - I'd say you DO NOT have a rusting problem - looks to be only the "patina" Knight spoke of. You DO NOT want to do anything agressive to that piece. Get yourself a good quality gun oil - I use RemOil on all my older guns, even shotguns from as early as 1880s. Give it a good heavy application and let it sit for a day or two. Then wipe the metal down with a soft (flannel if you have it) cloth. Parker double barrel shotguns are worth lots of $$$$$$$. You have a valuable piece, don't do anything to screw it up!
    Go to one of the Web auction site (gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com or antiqueguns.com, etc.) and do a search on 'Parker' to get an idea of what your piece is worth.

hush dammit.. (was trying to get him to give it to me.. just checked recent prices too) lol