Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Anyone have an HD Radio?

I keep hearing the ads for the new "HD Radios" to get additional stations, but I have yet to hear from anyone who actually has one. Seems like a good idea, since Pittsburgh is down to one decent rock station and one ok "new rock" station. Anyone have one care to comment on it?

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Anyone have an HD Radio?

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    I keep hearing the ads for the new "HD Radios" to get additional stations, but I have yet to hear from anyone who actually has one. Seems like a good idea, since Pittsburgh is down to one decent rock station and one ok "new rock" station. Anyone have one care to comment on it?

Vince
    I have one...but haven't installed it yet! It is an add on unit that plugs into the factory antenna and has a remote mounted controller. I'm like you, I've heard alot of good stuff about them, but I don't know anyone using it either. I'll let you know in a month! LOL

Pittsburgh seems like it is loaded with HD stations...http://www.hdradio.com/find_an_hd_di...io_station.php

(Allegheny County)

You are not going to get much better sound quality with HD radio if you play it through your factory head unit. If your buying it for more stations then thats a different story. Car audio is only a good as your weakest component - head unit, amp, speakers, etc. If the HD connects through your cars antenna (like the add on CD players do) and you dial in a station for the HD, then the fidelity is only going to be as good as standard broadcast (analogue) radio station. It won't be true digital sound. Now if you replace the head unit with a HD head unit/with power then your speakers will be the only weak component but you will get better fidelity. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding something.

Hawk,
    Last edited by Hawk; November 26th, 2007 at 05:17 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Washington County)

sound quality isn't what i'm looking for. i'm looking for a wider selection of sounds to choose from!

seems like there is a wide selection, but are they any good?

I'd probably go with a new head rather than an add-on as my current deck seems to be getting more and more finicky about playing cd's - and i'd like one that's mp3 capable. probalby won't happen until after christmas when things settle down a bit.

vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Westmoreland County)

Yeah Hawk...you are correct. I am gonna hook mine up to my 03 Explorer which has a decent factory HU as is. More variety is the main goal.

(Lebanon County)

HD radio still = censorship and commercials, I went to satellite radio over 2 years ago and never looked back.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by nijwnfi View Post
    HD radio still = censorship and commercials, I went to satellite radio over 2 years ago and never looked back.
    Not quite 2 years for me yet, but I've got no plans to give it up anytime soon as long as I can afford it. Definitely worth consideration IMO.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.