Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Green card?

Default Green card?

I had a friend who was at Cabela's, and saw a green card holding mexican trying to buy a firearm. He didn't hang around to see what happen, but ask me later if the purchase could go through. I really don't know. I know they ask you if you were born in USA. Does anybody know the answer?

(Pike County)

Default Re: Green card?

They ask you if you were born outside of the US to establish, whether they should ask you for your citizenship/residency proof (last 3 month). I believe it's a federal requirement, when in addition to PICS/NICS check an FFL dealer have to run you thru the INS (or whatever thhe heck they called nowadays) database. That's pretty much it.

If you were born outside of the US and have at least a permanent resident card (Green Card), then you have pretty much the same gun posession rights as any US born resident of your state. Not sure about legal temporary residents (J-1 or H1B visa holders).
    Je suis déplorable

(Montgomery County)

Not quite. The FFL doesn't run you past the INS, PICS does that. A good friend of mine has a 'Green Card' and I've seen his PICS check get delayed about 15 minutes while the folks at PICS called the INS to verify his status.

The Montco Sheriff's Office also took forever (more than 45 days!) before issuing him an LTCF, despite him showing up with the police check card, ostensibly because they had to verify his status with the INS.

(Allegheny County)

My buddy is a German national with an green card and an LTCF. It took him as long as it took me to get my LTCF. He has no problem purchasing firearms.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    They ask you if you were born outside of the US to establish, whether they should ask you for your citizenship/residency proof (last 3 month). I believe it's a federal requirement, when in addition to PICS/NICS check an FFL dealer have to run you thru the INS (or whatever thhe heck they called nowadays) database. That's pretty much it.

If you were born outside of the US and have at least a permanent resident card (Green Card), then you have pretty much the same gun posession rights as any US born resident of your state. Not sure about legal temporary residents (J-1 or H1B visa holders).
    It used to be. But as far as I understand it, this is no longer the case.
    I'm not sure the detail, but someone dicided that the everytime they ask you to submit a proof of residency, they were violating your rights.

(...or something like that. My FFL showe me a letter explaining what, but i didn't read it. All I know is that when I go buy a gun, I no longer needs to bring the copy of lease or utility bill. This change was made during this past summer I think)

There are question that ask you if your citizen of US or not. and your required to disclose your INS A# to prove that you do have greencard(incidently, a green card is no longer green. Its sort of light brown color now).

And when FFL phone the PICS, 95% of the time, you'll get the operator. And they'll ask the nationality, and INS A#. And usually they have to call FFL back in about 1/2hr to 45min.
    My understanding is that thats when they are calling DHS(INS is no longer. INS was dissorved back in March 1, 2003, when most of its functions were transferred from the INS, which was operating under the DOJ, to three new entities – U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) – within the newly created Department of Homeland Security, as part of a major government reorganization following the September 11 attacks of 2001) to verify the info...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    Not quite. The FFL doesn't run you past the INS, PICS does that.
    Oh, got it. I know someone runs it, I just don't care. I know it usually takes under an hour (I'd say posted above 30 to 45 minutes extra is fair assessment), so I just drop off the paperwork then go drink coffee or something, until the FFL calls me and says i can come and pick up my gun(s).
    Je suis déplorable