Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: LTCF

Default LTCF

I noticed in a few Classified forum adds that a LTCF is required for a FTF. I can see this when a pistol/revolver is involved, but some of the adds require a buyer to have a LTCF for a rifle buy. Why would this be? I have bought all my rifles without a LTCF. Curious.

Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by Swager View Post
    I noticed in a few Classified forum adds that a LTCF is required for a FTF. I can see this when a pistol/revolver is involved, but some of the adds require a buyer to have a LTCF for a rifle buy. Why would this be? I have bought all my rifles without a LTCF. Curious.

Thanks
    People want to make sure they're not selling to a prohibited person. While showing a license doesn't prove
    that you aren't prohibited, its an extra measure to at least weed out some of the prohibited folks .

that's my guess anyway.

(York County)

Actually I think it's to figure out who has a worse LTCF pic...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swager View Post

Thanks
    As mentioned prior, to help give peace of mind that the buyer isn't a prohibited person.

And also to check the buyer's address to prove residency. ...interstate private transfers are illegal by federal law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

A handgun requires a transfer to be done with a licensed dealer or the chief/sheriff (don't remember which) of police unless it's a gift to immediate family. A longarm only falls under the LTCF in the event of a state of emergency. There is no reason at all to use a LTCF in any gun sale. Mostly it's based on the programming that there are classes of people, and the licensed group is better, safer, more trustworthy than the lesser peasants.
    In the event a gun turns up in a crime and the serial is traced back to the seller, the correct response to questioning would be “If you're doing an investigation, talk to my lawyer.” Not “Well he had a LTCF.”

(Beaver County)

I've seen it a lot and I agree with the people wanting to see it. While it's not required to do a transfer of a rifle within the state, I've also seen people who say either LTCF or FFL transfer to prevent selling to a prohibited person. If you do something that precludes you from an LTCF, the sheriff is supossed to reposses it from you. Thus, people kind of consider seeing it as a background check on the buyer to make sure he isn't a prohibited person without having to pay the fees for an FFL. That's the way I see it, at least.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies! Clears it up!

Very much appreciated!

Oh! The reason I am on this forum, I am originally from St Mary's, Pa in Elk County. I still have alot of family there. I long for my home state!

As a sportsman and gun owner, things not well here in NY.
    Last edited by Swager; March 9th, 2013 at 10:09 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    A handgun requires a transfer to be done with a licensed dealer or the chief/sheriff (don't remember which) of police unless it's a gift to immediate family. A longarm only falls under the LTCF in the event of a state of emergency. There is no reason at all to use a LTCF in any gun sale. Mostly it's based on the programming that there are classes of people, and the licensed group is better, safer, more trustworthy than the lesser peasants.
    In the event a gun turns up in a crime and the serial is traced back to the seller, the correct response to questioning would be “If you're doing an investigation, talk to my lawyer.” Not “Well he had a LTCF.”
    Some people require the other party to have a ltcf for their own piece of mind. I do not feel the same but I am fine with them wanting to see one. To some it means the other party passed a background check at some point.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    Gunlawyer disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's no safe harbor for private sales, whether you "had reason to know" that the buyer was prohibited from possessing firearms when you handed him a gun is going to be up to the opinions of 12 people who may have never touched a gun.

If your buyer has a current PA LTCF, that's a compelling argument that they are not prohibited, and that would be your defense to any prosecution.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Berks County)

As far as people saying the reason they do it is to negate potential liability for selling to a prohibited person, show me just ONE case where a private party has been successfully prosecuted for selling a long gun to someone they didn't KNOW was a prohibited person! The liability and criminal offense is on the BUYER for buying if prohibited. The law states it is illegal to sell to someone you KNOW is prohibited, and if the only knowledge of the person you have is that they said "I'll take it" to your classified ad, the crime is on them for BUYING/POSSESSING said firearm as a prohibited person, not the seller. Unless the law changes to require NICS checks for all purchases the seller has no more liability for a legal FTF transaction then they do if they were selling a bike, lawnmower, widget etc etc. I also know many people who do not have an LTCF because they have no interest in owning/carrying handguns, only own longguns for hunting etc. That being said it is the sellers perogative to set the rules for their sale, and if the buyer wants the item they have to comply with the terms. I have personally not purchased guns I may have been interested in because the seller wanted to keep a copy of my DL or LTCF, written bill of sale with personal information etc because in this age of potential gov't gun grabs etc I feel an "undocumented" gun is a safer gun.