Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Opinions on CMP 1911

I've submitted the paperwork for a CMP 1911 and my number is coming up soon. I must confess I'm getting cold feet and wonder if they're worth the price. They are all "mix-masters" in varying condition. I'd appreciate any brutally honest opinions - BUY or PASS!!!!! Thanks

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Opinions on CMP 1911

Keep in mind these came from the 100,000 1911s that were kept in strategic war reserve past the mid 1990s, most of the rest of the junky ones were melted down.

All 1911s were rebuilt along the way. All the military cares about it keeping it's stuff serviceable not collectible.

From all accounts I have seen, most look pretty decent and I'd like to get one at some point. They are after all real 1911s that served, not a modern commercial copy.

(Bucks County)

It will always be worth more than you paid for it.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Centre County)

The one I got was an Ithaca frame w/Remington Rand slide. It was rebuilt by the Anniston Army Depot in September 1975 (and then probably put into storage until the Army turned them over to the CMP.) It is in dang fine condition, actually better than the rating (Rack) CMP gave it. I wouldn't trade or sell it, it's a piece of history. Yes, I have shot it and it shoots very well, thank you. I will echo cdi said, it will always be worth more than you paid for it. Also remember, a person can only buy ONE of these, no multiple sales.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

As mentioned, they will always be worth more than you paid! I went with Service grade and wasn't happy. Got a nice RR frame but a GI slide Great looking, but I didn't want a GI slide. From what I've seen - the grade down have been better! If I could do it again, I'd do field grade. JMO. Good luck, you can't go wrong. And if you get a little rougher one and would rather a nice frame and nice GI slide - let me know - lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Chester County)

I would consider it to be more of a collectible than a functional pistol. Nevertheless, regardless of condition, would love to own a firearm that may have been in combat and killed a jap. I presume that possibility would be apparent from the serial number though.

(Montgomery County)

If you already went through the process of the CMP paperwork I would absolutely say BUY. The hard part is over. All of the pistols I've seen pictures of look great.

To the OP, don*t pass up the opportunity. To put things in perspective, late *70*s, I got a CMP M-1 Garand. It was $125. It*s now worth over $2k. Back then you had to submit shooting scores and fingerprints for certification, to qualify and receive the rifle. How times have changed.

All that said, these pistols will see an increase in value overtime. I chose and received a Service grade Colt. Looking back on my decision, I think I*d go with a Field grade if the opportunity presents itself in the future. My CMP 1911 is an arsenal rebuild, all Colt with a Colt contract barrel, new safety, slim hammer and re-Parkerized. I*m sure that by the time my grandkids are adults this pistol, like the Garand, will double or triple in value. Just my 2cents on the subject.

(York County)

I appreciate all the insightful responses. It sounds like the Field grade may be the way to go. Based upon calls the CMP has made to date, I expect a call in late Jan. - early Feb. Thanks again for the opinions, much appreciated.