Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Should I sell or consign???

Hi, everyone. Im new here and new to PA in general.
    Im wanting to thin the heard alittle and get rid of a few guns. I used to collect many years ago but now I have little use for many of them.
    I dont "need" the money right away but I also dont want this to become a drawn out process.
    Heres the deal. The local shop wants to consign my guns. We negotiate a price to me and the shop keeps whatever they make above that price.
    Or, I can sell them straight out to a chain sporting goods store for 35% less than book.
    Obviously the advantage to selling them straight out is money in my pocket today. The advantage to consigning is more money in the long run. Part of my problem is that its been many years since Ive bought or sold guns so I feel kind of vulnerable negotiating prices.
    What do you guys do when you get rid of your guns?
    Thanks

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Should I sell or consign???

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Im wanting to thin the heard alittle and get rid of a few guns. I used to collect many years ago but now I have little use for many of them.
    I dont "need" the money right away but I also dont want this to become a drawn out process.
    Heres the deal. The local shop wants to consign my guns. We negotiate a price to me and the shop keeps whatever they make above that price.
    Or, I can sell them straight out to a chain sporting goods store for 35% less than book.
    Obviously the advantage to selling them straight out is money in my pocket today. The advantage to consigning is more money in the long run. Part of my problem is that its been many years since Ive bought or sold guns so I feel kind of vulnerable negotiating prices.
    Thanks
    Go online to sites like Gunbroker, etc. and see what your guns generally go for used. Come up with a price based on that. Welcome to the board. If you don't "need to sell" then I would either consign, or put them on our classifieds here and try to sell them yourself.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks
    I have only sold 1 gun to a fellow member here and kind of regret it because I now miss that gun, but that is beside the point.
    Like Chemical said, check out gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com, places like that and see what they go for. Try posting them up on here and maybe you will get lucky and get someone on here that would like to buy some of them!

hell, im curious as to what you are looking to get rid of.

I would give them away to the first 3 forum members who reply to this thread

Seriously, welcome to the forum and as suggested, use our classifieds here

(Franklin County)

Where in Franklin county are you? My BIL has the Blue Book of Gun Values. We may be able to get together to look up your guns, or you could PM me details on a few, and I could check them out.

The classified forum here is a great way to buy and sell guns, and there is no cost to place an ad there.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Wow!!
    You guys are quick.
    Actually after I posted I did go over and check the classifieds. Looks like lots of traffic there, I may put them up. Im new here in PA, what is required to transfer a gun between individuals?
    I'll take some time and figure out what everything is worth.

gnbrotz, Im in Waynesboro.
    I may take you up on your offer if I have trouble finding what Im looking for.
    Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Wow!!
    You guys are quick.
    Actually after I posted I did go over and check the classifieds. Looks like lots of traffic there, I may put them up. Im new here in PA, what is required to transfer a gun between individuals?

Thanks
    rifle to someone in PA is a transaction between 2 people, no FFL required. Most people here ask to see drivers license or LTCF to be sure the other person is able to own the rifle.
    pistol needs to go through a FFL

(Franklin County)

Wow!!
    You guys are quick.

Thanks
    For long guns, you may sell to any PA resident so long as you don't know they are legally barred from owning a firearm. Just exchange money and the firearm, and the deal is done, just like any other household item you might decide to sell.

For handguns, you'll need to go through an FFL to have a 'transfer' completed. Typically, the buyer pays all fees associated with the transfer. I can also tip you to a couple of dealers locally that won't take an arm and a leg to complete the transfer if you can't find one you think is reasonable.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    For long guns, you may sell to any PA resident so long as you don't know they are legally barred from owning a firearm. Just exchange money and the firearm, and the deal is done, just like any other household item you might decide to sell.

For handguns, you'll need to go through an FFL to have a 'transfer' completed. Typically, the buyer pays all fees associated with the transfer. I can also tip you to a couple of dealers locally that won't take an arm and a leg to complete the transfer if you can't find one you think is reasonable.
    what about antiques? the OP said collection, so that might include antiques. Those are between 2 people only, no FFL for pistol or rifle, right?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    what about antiques? the OP said collection, so that might include antiques. Those are between 2 people only, no FFL for pistol or rifle, right?
    State law exempts the following from the usually required transfer:
    (e) Nonapplicability of section.--This section shall not apply to the following:

* (1) Any firearm manufactured on or before 1898.
    * (2) Any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock or percussion cap type of ignition system.
    * (3) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (1) if the replica:
    * (i) is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition; or
    * (ii) uses rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    I believe anything older than 25 years is considered "antique", so to answer your question, NO, "antiques" are not exempt merely because of their age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast