Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Need Advice on Deer Pistol

I want to get a deer pistol that can be carried on a holster when still hunting my land and checking for folks illegally hunting.

I guess I was thinking a single shot with perhaps a scope in case I see the big one - I only shoot big deer so almost always have an ufilled tag (but there are nice deer shot once in a while)

knowing little about deer handguns I guess I figured a 7-30 or 30-30 seemed like a nice deer slayer. I don't want to wound a deer. I need to drop it if I decide to shoot.

I already have a 6" .357 mag but consider it too light for a serioius 100 yard shot.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Need Advice on Deer Pistol

If you regularly find people illegally hunting on your land I would suggest that you carry two handguns. (Sounds paranoid, right) One for people if the need arises, for that I would recommend a revolver in .357 stoked with .38 +P with a 3-4 inch barrel. A single shot pistol does not work well when defending yourself from people.

For a hunting only pistol with considerable power, look at the Thompson Center Contender single shot. You can get it in just about any caliber out there and you can buy additional barrels to change calibers at your whim.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

It's been a long time but I had a Thompson Contender about 25 years ago with a good scope on it. It was the 357 caliber. It would group decent at 100 yards from a bench. I carried it in a shoulder harness. Wish often that I still had it. I carried it for deer but never took a shot. Used it for ground hogs. As you most likely know you can get just about any configuration and or caliber that you want and barrels are interchangeable. Just wanted to give my 2 cent's.

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    If you regularly find people illegally hunting on your land I would suggest that you carry two handguns. (Sounds paranoid, right) One for people if the need arises, for that I would recommend a revolver in .357 stoked with .38 +P with a 3-4 inch barrel. A single shot pistol does not work well when defending yourself from people.

For a hunting only pistol with considerable power, look at the Thompson Center Contender single shot. You can get it in just about any caliber out there and you can buy additional barrels to change calibers at your whim.
    I concur. I wasn't thinking about for protection when i answered the question. I would say this though I believe that the Contender, with a good scope on it, can look very intiminating. I might also suggest that you probably will hit your target. But then again then again they have rifles or shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Smith View Post
    I want to get a deer pistol that can be carried on a holster when still hunting my land and checking for folks illegally hunting.

I guess I was thinking a single shot with perhaps a scope in case I see the big one - I only shoot big deer so almost always have an ufilled tag (but there are nice deer shot once in a while)

knowing little about deer handguns I guess I figured a 7-30 or 30-30 seemed like a nice deer slayer. I don't want to wound a deer. I need to drop it if I decide to shoot.

I already have a 6" .357 mag but consider it too light for a serioius 100 yard shot.
    Go on Remingtons website and look up data on the .357, velocity and ft lbs at distances. I think you'll be surprized.

As a hunting handgun, Ruger makes a very nice Redhawk 7.5 barrel with a veyr nice scope. 100 yard shots with groups under four inches, unsupported is no problem.

I also concur with the previous post on personal safety. If you are checking for trespassers, I would plus up on what I carried to confront said CRIMINALS!!!!

(Cambria County)

I have a T/C encore in 308 with a 2-6 scope.Good to 150/200 yards.I also carry a revolver of some kind.Redhawk 44,S&W 610 10mm or S&W 357.Carry both.

(Lancaster County)

Might be a little overkill...but I'm liking the Smith and Wesson 460 XVR with the 8 inch barrel. the 460 is a great round ballistically and plenty for whitetail. plus you can also load it with 454 Casull or .45 long colt. so the deer angle is covered as well as the people since you have 5 shots available. not to mention the "oh shit" factor once you pull it out. pretty intimidating gun.
    "While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink."- Fr. Frog

(Lancaster County)

I have a 44 Ruger Redhawk topped with a Bushnell Trophy scope that will kill any deer to 100 yards (as per my bench shooting). If you do your part. I tried to headshoot a doe at about 70 yds and missed. I didn't do my part(no bench). The 357 should kill anything out to 50 yards and probably further. I have a Taurus 22 Mag that does very well with a scope but I like the Ruger cutouts better. Just becuase of the scope mounts. But I would defiantly consider another Taurus. If you are thinking open sights, expect alot of practice to get to 30 yards. The longer the barrel the easier it is.

PS. This is only my opinion and experience. I prefer revolvers for that second shot and manly feel. The only deer I killed with a handgun was with a 357 with open sights.

(Erie County)

454 & 357 - the 454 is 5.5 pounds, try and hold that extended for any period of time

---->Needs a better scope

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogleman View Post

454 & 357 - the 454 is 5.5 pounds, try and hold that extended for any period of time

---->Needs a better scope
    I also have that 454. Mine also has Hefty flash suppressor on it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast