Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Reloading press advice.

I am looking to get a Dillon reloading press and can not make up my mind between the Square Deal "B" or the RL550B.

Right now I shoot only handguns so the Square Deal "B", which is only for handgun reloads, would be good enough. However, if at some point in the future I may want to reload for a rile, the RL550B will do both. The RL550B, with the options is only a few hundred more than the Square Deal "B".

Anyone have experience with the Dillon reload presses that can pass along some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

(Centre County)

Default Re: Reloading press advice.

I have the SDB (bought it in 1990 for reload .38 spec I shot in competition). It is a good solid machine and if you are looking at doing only one or two calibers and never any rifle, I'd say get it. The only draw back is that it uses proprietary dies that don't fit anything else. That's not a drawback if only doing several calibersa.

The RL550 uses standard dies, either Dillon or anyone elses. Also good for doing rifle calibers. In fact even though I have the SDB, a heavy Lymsn single stage press and a Lyman turret press, I am looking to buy another progressive for doing .223 and .45ACP. It will be the RL550.

The main reason I got the SDB back then was that I didn't have a lot of money and the SDB gave me a lot of bang (no pun intended) for my buck. Doing it again I would (and am) be going with the RL550.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I have a redding ultra mag and a dillon 550. The redding ultra mag for .338 lapua and anything else big in small quantities and the dillon 550 for everything else. I am actually buying another dillon 550 soon, one for pistol and one for rifle (.223/6.5 grendal/6.8spc). Their customer service is second to none and if everything is tight on the press, i can get a consistency of .0001"+/- on OAL with an bullet comparator. Its pretty much the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I just cant love my Dillon 650 any more then I am now or they will arrest me for strange things.

I would suggest save the extra and get the 650 over the 550. Auto indexing with a 5th die position for a powder check system is nice to have. Auto feeding cases is even better. Lube them up and drop about 20 in the tube at a time, or get the case feeder and don't stop until you need to add primers or powder.

The 550 & 650 use different tool heads and caliber conversion parts.

They use the same powder dump system and its very accurate. The powder check system won't tell you if its 4.1 gr of Clays or 4.2 gr of Clays... but if you skip a station, short stroke the handle, or double charge - it will BEEP! and you will know something is wrong.

I don't have the case feeder on mine. I have mine mounted directly to the bench and I sit when I reload. My friend's 650 is on the "strong mount" they offer and its perfect for standing.

I also recommend the "roller handle" over the ball handle. Now that I think about it...that spare dillon ball handle would be nice to leave under the car seat... hmmm...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I have the SDB (bought it in 1990 for reload .38 spec I shot in competition). It is a good solid machine and if you are looking at doing only one or two calibers and never any rifle, I'd say get it. The only draw back is that it uses proprietary dies that don't fit anything else. That's not a drawback if only doing several calibersa.

The RL550 uses standard dies, either Dillon or anyone elses. Also good for doing rifle calibers. In fact even though I have the SDB, a heavy Lymsn single stage press and a Lyman turret press, I am looking to buy another progressive for doing .223 and .45ACP. It will be the RL550.

The main reason I got the SDB back then was that I didn't have a lot of money and the SDB gave me a lot of bang (no pun intended) for my buck. Doing it again I would (and am) be going with the RL550.
    I don't like the "Dillon only" dies for the SDB. Get the 550 and you can use any of the standard dies you can find.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Lebanon County)

I got the 550 and I couldn't be happier. Worth every penny. I am considering buying an additional 550

Being that the 550 rocks so hard, the 650 has go to be a dream. I am still slow as hell with the 550, but very slow, careful reloading puts me at 300 rounds per hour of 45 acp.
    Last edited by Fr0sty; June 15th, 2009 at 06:03 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Steve View Post
    I just cant love my Dillon 650 any more then I am now or they will arrest me for strange things.

I would suggest save the extra and get the 650 over the 550.......
    I decided to spend a few extra dollars and bought the 650 yesterday, can't wait for it to come.

(Montgomery County)

Excellent decision making abilities....the force is strong with this one.

I have the 550b...nothing wrong with it. Love it for the price I paid. between the two mentioioed in your post, it would be the choice... sometimes I wish I bucked up for the 650...sometimes.

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

There is no buyer's remorse.

When you receive the "blue press" you will reminded of your wise decision, monthly.

You'll see what I mean.

(some of you already get it)

(Lebanon County)

No wrong choice when it comes to a Dillon, it's just a matter of how right you want to be

You made a very right choice with the 650.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast