Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Look what my neighbor found....

While remodeling his basement this weekend..... He claims it was in a box tucked behind some shelves he removed this morning.

It's Smith and Wesson break action 5 shot revolver.... I'm guessing it's a .32 caliber (since the .38 Spl round won't fit all the way in). Other than that I know less than nothing about the pistol...

Can anyone help ID'ing this pistol??? The serial number is 1329xx. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Look what my neighbor found....

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    While remodeling his basement this weekend..... He claims it was in a box tucked behind some shelves he removed this morning.

It's Smith and Wesson break action 5 shot revolver.... I'm guessing it's a .32 caliber (since the .38 Spl round won't fit all the way in). Other than that I know less than nothing about the pistol...

Can anyone help ID'ing this pistol??? The serial number is 1329xx. Any help would be appreciated.
    it's a .38 S&W, which is a little shorter and slightly larger diameter than the .38 spl

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    it's a .38 S&W, which is a little shorter and slightly larger diameter than the .38 spl
    You might want to head over to Smith & Wesson forums, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks there. They were able to give me a date of shipment on my Pre-war 5 screw M&P.

(Westmoreland County)

If it is a .32 It would be a .32 Double Action 3rd Model. Made from 1882-83. The serial number range for these is 22173-43405.

If it is a .38 I would be either a 3rd or 4th Model Double action. They are similar except for internal differences.

The serial number range of 119001-322700 would indicate a 3rd model made from 1884-95.

The serial number range of 322701-53900 would be the 4th model made from 1895-1909.

ETA: I just saw you posted the serial number. Definitely a .38 Double Action 3rd Model in .38 S&W.
    Last edited by pennlineman; February 1st, 2015 at 08:16 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Like the other poster said this chambered for the .38 Smith & Wesson [NOT .38 Smith & Wesson Special]. The .38 S&W debuted in the mid 1870s and was very popular in these top break revolvers being made for the rest of the century and some companies making them into the 1930s.

A lot of Companies Harrington & Richardson, Hopkins & Allen, Smith & Wesson, Iver Johnson, US Revolver Company are just some of the companies that made these fine pistols. Many can still be found in shootable condition including one in sitting in my safe right now.

Here's two sources of ammo for the old girl:

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-38-s-w-...rlrnmagtech-50

http://www.luckygunner.com/38-s-w-14...tech-50-rounds

I find the MagTech shoots well in my 1930s Iver Johnson. PPU & Fiochi also make the .38 S&W, Some folks on other forums say the PPU is a little hot tough.

By the way of your neighbor's revolver was made in the 1890s it's most likely for Black Powder. I know Iver Johnson for example didn't start making their revolvers chambered for smokeless untill 1908. They still offer Black Powder loading for the .38 S&W: http://www.buffaloarms.com/38_Smith_...aspx?MANF=2868
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; February 2nd, 2015 at 09:13 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Pretty cool piece . .

Tell him whatever he does dont try to pretty it up with steel wool to clean it . . .

(Lawrence County)

I'm curious as to what it might be worth. I realize that we don't really know the condition but just being that old it seems like it should have some value.

(Northampton County)

None of them are usually worth much. $50 - $500, normally closer to the low end. But they are neat IMO.

Since it's old, never hurts to go on an expert forum and check to see if there is something special about it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I'm curious as to what it might be worth. I realize that we don't really know the condition but just being that old it seems like it should have some value.
    Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    None of them are usually worth much. $50 - $500, normally closer to the low end. But they are neat IMO.

Since it's old, never hurts to go on an expert forum and check to see if there is something special about it.
    LGS had one for a few months, hammerless, and the "Lemon Squezzer" Safety [Grip safety like a 1911] marked at $150. Sat for a few weeks untill and old fella picked it up for $140 OTD.

Thay being said I recommend the Iver Johnsons if you want a top break. They feel like they were made better, and third model Iver Johnson revolvers [made from 1908-1941] are rated for Smokeless.

(Allegheny County)

My first thoughts were to wonder if it was used in a crime and then hidden.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast