Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Is it me?

So I've been getting more range time in with my Sig and I'm getting better at controlling the recoil. I'm shooting at around 30-40 feet at a 10" target. I've noticed that almost 100% of my shots are on the paper but high and left. Could this be a problem with my site alignment (I'm right handed and shoot with my left eye) or am I pulling the trigger wrong and missing all by myself. I noticed the same issue while bench resting the gun as well.

Thanks guys, and don't spare my feelings if you think it's shooter error. I know I have a long way to go before I'm close to accurate with this thing.
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by HamburgBoy84 View Post
    So I've been getting more range time in with my Sig and I'm getting better at controlling the recoil. I'm shooting at around 30-40 feet at a 10" target. I've noticed that almost 100% of my shots are on the paper but high and left. Could this be a problem with my site alignment (I'm right handed and shoot with my left eye) or am I pulling the trigger wrong and missing all by myself. I noticed the same issue while bench resting the gun as well.

Thanks guys, and don't spare my feelings if you think it's shooter error. I know I have a long way to go before I'm close to accurate with this thing.
    Might be your sights, or you're not using equal pressure with your support hand as your strong hand. Make sure you're still getting "surprised" and not anticipating either. Let someone else give it a try, and see how it looks. Just my thoughts.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

i would venture it i can be corrected with sight adjusment. i know sigs are accurate and if as you say you are consistent in your groups that again would lead me to believe you can fix it with an adjustment.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Bucks County)

I concur. High and left doesn't sound like a trigger control problem. Try adjusting the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by HamburgBoy84 View Post

This might help...

What kind of Sig are you shooting?

Since you specifically mentioned recoil, I'm guessing that the target might be right...
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Cambria County)

I would also suggest you move closer to the target. Follow the NRA Pistol training suggestions...

10-15 feet
    9" paper plate for a target
    even try the pistol bench rest position to help determine if it your sights or your anticipation

Also do the strong hand, weak hand shooting drills. These help build skills and muscle memory.

Only then do you move back farther.

These all helped me when I first picked up the 1911 the Army handed me 20 years ago.

(Bucks County)

Strong hand, weak hand shooting drills? Can you explain?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by klefkow View Post
    Strong hand, weak hand shooting drills? Can you explain?
    Strong hand = your dominate hand, weak hand is the other one.

Shot a course of fire (target and x number of rounds) using only the strong hand, then only the weak hand, then using both hands with the strong hand doing the firing, then both hands with the weak hand doing the firing.

Actually, you should start out with the bench rest position until such time as you are fairly accurate. Then stand and use the two-hand.

Use the bench to confirm sight alignment and sight picture and getting the Point of Impact to be the Point of Aim using slow fire. This will make sure you are hitting where you aim.

(York County)

I agree that a Sight Adjustment may be in order, however being a right
    hand shooter, left eye dominant, is there a possibility that you are "canting"
    the pistol when shooting. Has anyone been with you and observed your
    grip and the position of your head?. There are a number of posts in reference
    to this. if you have the time, check them out. There are corrective measures
    that can be taken to assist you.
    1. Modify the shooting stance to bring the dominate eye in line with the sights, being careful not to unlock the wrist or cant the shooters hand at
    an angle. This can best achieved by turning the shooters head on its axis.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    This might help...

What kind of Sig are you shooting?

Since you specifically mentioned recoil, I'm guessing that the target might be right...
    Was hopng someone posted this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast