Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default coal/wood stove?

we are moving into a all electric 3 bedroom house and need to suppliment for heat. had a wood stove years ago but dont know much about the newer pellet stoves or rice coal stoves. Alaska stoves are 1 hour or so away, and Harman Stoves will be about 3 miles from the new place. pros/cons any help would help
    If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
    A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

Default Re: coal/wood stove?

I can only testify to pellet stoves. I used one for about 13yrs as a sole source of heat. Electric was also my only other heat source. I think it really depends on the size and layout of your house. If it's only supplemental it should work fine. Pellets aren't cheap anymore though.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

Harman makes really good stuff. I have a Harman Mark II, awesome for coal or wood.

(Lancaster County)

I have a coal stove and love it a 4 by 4 by 8 ft bin holds 2 ton they back the truck and fill it we use old 5gal buckets to bring coal in so not as dirty as dragging in wood also coal burns wet or dry so you don't have to have weather tight storage.ash from stove is great for taction in snow and ice.and you usal only have to tend your stove 2 to 3 times a day and holds a much more stable temp.so I vote for coal.crazywolf

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
    I have a coal stove and love it a 4 by 4 by 8 ft bin holds 2 ton

A bin with a 4'x8' footprint x 4' tall will also hold 3 ton of medium nut coal for reference.

I burn nut coal exclusively for our heat from nov-march. It used to be a great value, but the increasing price of coal has it approaching other heat sources. 10 years ago I was heating the entire house for $300 for 5 months, now it's 3 times that.

I use a Baker stove, which are made in Lewisberry, PA. If it's a somewhat mild day out (45 degrees+) I can get by with tossing one shod bucket in the stove a day and the house stays plenty warm. Any colder or windier and I'll do the stove twice a day.

(Dauphin County)

thanks guys. i forgot about Baker. Harman is nice, but pricey. Dane went and built a huge warehouse.
    If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
    A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

(Allegheny County)

We burn wood to supplement electric baseboard heat. Not sure of the brand but it's your standard cast iron stove with blower. Wood is free (minus the labor) and it keeps the whole front of the house toasty.

My parents have a dual fuel furnace that runs heating oil or wood. Might be able to use coal too, not sure. That's nice because it covers the whole house without much effort.

(York County)

Smile Re: coal/wood stove?

I put a wood stove in my last home and used it every winter all winter non-stop for 18 years. When I cleared my property before we built I had about 9 seasons worth of wood 70% of which was oak. There is nothing like the warmth from a wood or coal stove.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

We heat a 2000 square foot, 105 year old fieldstone farmhouse with on coal stove in the living room and a box fan that circulates the heat.

I have heard pellets are great too (brother in law has one) but I also heard the price of pellets has been steadily climbing, where coal has been holding right around $200 a ton. And don't believe the stories about coal being 'dirty', we used to burn wood and it is 10 times dirtier than coal.

(Franklin County)

I have a wood stove, the only reason that I haven't gone to pellat is, what if the electricity goes out, you need that to run a pellat stove. I been in situations in the winter where I've gone without electricity for a few days. That is also why I have a propane cooking stove. On the other hand my daughter and her husband just put in a pellat stove last year. They love it. It is much neater to maintain and there is a lot less lugging of wood to do.
    In God We Trust............................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast