Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Traveling with your gun(s)???

I'm a relative newcomer here, and maybe this isn't the best part of the forum to ask this question, but I've noticed a number of questions that concern traveling outside of PA so I'm hoping that someone here might be able to answer this, or point me in the right direction...
    I'm planning a trip to California this spring (we'll be flying out of either Harrisburg or Baltimore). We'll be visiting our oldest son who lives there. I recently got him interested in sporting clay shooting while he was back here visiting. Now he's found what looks to be a great facility near his home that has sporting clays, rifle and pistol ranges, and he'd like me to bring along a shotgun and one of my 1911's so we can go shooting together while we're out there. Obviously, even though I do have my PA LTCF and CC daily, I'm not planning on carrying while in CA. MY question(s) are: What do I have to do so I don't find myself in violation of ANY laws, does it make a difference whether I fly from HBG or Maryland, Would it be better to have the guns shipped directly to him before we fly out (of course that means he would then be faced with dealing with shipping them back to me too), and could I also ship a supply of ammunition ahead of time to avoid having to pay a significantly higher price for it in CA? I know this is a lot to consider, an I appreciate any responses/suggestions. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Traveling with your gun(s)???

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    Obviously, even though I do have my PA LTCF and CC daily, I'm not planning on carrying while in CA. MY question(s) are: What do I have to do so I don't find myself in violation of ANY laws, does it make a difference whether I fly from HBG or Maryland, Would it be better to have the guns shipped directly to him before we fly out (of course that means he would then be faced with dealing with shipping them back to me too), and could I also ship a supply of ammunition ahead of time to avoid having to pay a significantly higher price for it in CA? I know this is a lot to consider, an I appreciate any responses/suggestions. Thanks guys.
    Just don't fly from JFK, Newark, or LaGuardia!

I won't presume to assess if it would be "better" to ship the guns rather than take them with you. If it were my choice, that's what I would do. But you canNOT ship them to your son. You CAN ship them to yourself, at your son's address. However, when they arrive he cannot open the packages. If he does, he and you will be in violation of Federal law.

Likewise, when you return home your son cannot ship your guns to you. Under Federal law, individuals may ship firearms interstate to themselves. So before you leave California, you will have to package up the firearms and YOU will have to take them to FedEx or UPS and ship them to yourself. You can ship them in care of a friend or neighbor you trust, but again it must be understood that only you may legally open the packages.

[NOTE: Long guns may be shipped by mail, handguns may not unless you are an FFL. Ammo may not be shipped by mail but may be shipped by FedEx or UPS. It's pricey -- possibly pricey enough that buying in CA won't seem so expensive.]

You could ship the rifle ahead without a hassle, but forget the handgun. Even though FedEx and UPS could legally allow you to ship it to yourself, neither will actually do it (they both now require handgun shipment to or from an FFL).

I've flown with handguns several times, out of both Philly and Harrisburg, and never had a hassle. Check both the TSA and airline(s) web sites for the details (some are a little different between airlines). There are several threads here on the topic. You can transport up to 11 pounds of ammo; leave it in the original packaging.

And I second avoiding the NYC area airports, even for a connection. Personally I'd avoid Boston,Chicago, and Baltimore as well, though I've never heard of a problem there. DC is OK -- both Dulles and Reagan are actually in Virginia.
    Last edited by donm; January 4th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.

(Lancaster County)

A friend of mine put this together a while ago. He's traveled extensively with his firearms. Lots of good information, worth the time to read it.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

this brings about a good question. i've yet to be pulled over while out of state on my non res permit(s) but just wondering have any of you ever been pulled over while carrying and handed over your non res permit/license from either fl or az

also when flying w/ firearms, do they need to be in a locked box or just a reg gun box like a store bough one or a glock box?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post

also when flying w/ firearms, do they need to be in a locked box or just a reg gun box like a store bough one or a glock box?
    Please read through the link I posted above. I think it'll answer most of your questions. If your container suits what the airline you're l flying on requires that's your answer.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Please read through the link I posted above. I think it'll answer most of your questions. If your container suits what the airline you're l flying on requires that's your answer.
    will do thanx

Quote Originally Posted by 350CI View Post
    The requirement is really that it's locked (non-TSA lock), and secure enough that the gun can't be accessed like by prying it open by hand to access the gun. I've flown using the plastic case the gun came in, the little metal gun safe I use in the car, and a big heavy aluminum Kilispel case.

I flew out of BWI with my AR-15, couple pistols, and HD shotgun about a year ago. NO problems what so ever. I've flown out of HIA I don't know how many times with firearms. Even into California and out of California, LAX and San Fran airports.

I just follow standard airline procedures on putting firearms in checked baggage. Twice, my bags got lost and arrived several hours later with my guns all fine and dandy.

Enjoy Cali. Its actually a great place just wish it was not so fucked up politically.

CL

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    A friend of mine put this together a while ago. He's traveled extensively with his firearms. Lots of good information, worth the time to read it.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
    Great info.

Thanks!
    ...and they have a plan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast