Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Good Trigger Locks?

I am looking to buy some trigger locks for some of my handguns and long guns. This is not the primary safety measure, but an additional layer.

I am not sure I want key locks or combination locks. I am leaning towards combo's because of the amount of keys I already have to keep track of.

Since I am buying 15 of them, I would rather not find out I dont like them once I get them.

I would be interested in anyone's opinion on what they use and the good and the bad things about them.

Look forward to seeing what is said.

thx,
    -xdm9

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Good Trigger Locks?

Working on layered security is good, but if the layer is weak, then is it really worth the expense?

Review some of these videos on how easy it is to bypass trigger locks.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear....1.Xpp-UG8jOZM
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Working on layered security is good, but if the layer is weak, then is it really worth the expense?

Review some of these videos on how easy it is to bypass trigger locks.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear....1.Xpp-UG8jOZM
    Almost every one of those videos depicts keyed locks. What about the combo ones?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Almost every one of those videos depicts keyed locks. What about the combo ones?
    The Combo locks fail to the same weakness. You just use a screwdriver to move the latch out of the way and they fall open. Doesn't matter what the locking mechanism is if you can reach the latch with a screwdriver it's worthless.

(Montgomery County)

I can get you as many cable locks as you'd need for free. These are keyed locks that would have to go through the magwell or bolt. Let me know and I could ship them to you. I'd imagine shipping 15 locks would cost about $10.00-$12.00.

Mike

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby1099 View Post
    I can get you as many cable locks as you'd need for free. These are keyed locks that would have to go through the magwell or bolt. Let me know and I could ship them to you. I'd imagine shipping 15 locks would cost about $10.00-$12.00.

Mike
    The locks on those cable locks are easily picked with standard picking tools. If you don't want to pick the lock, you can shim fairly easily with a piece cut from a beer can. If you really didn't want to go through that work, I'd just cut the damn cable with a heavy wire cutter/bolt cutter.

They're nothing but show, and won't keep anyone out that really wants it.

(Northampton County)

well, I guess I should have prefaced this post with the fact I am not concerned with trying to keep a gun burglarproof more along the lines of child proofing while I have guns out for cleanings and such.

So lets restart with the idea in mind I want to purchase trigger locks, and I will hope my kids are not going to break out a lock pick set or a bolt cutters or an angle grinder or a plasma cutter...well you get the picture.

So just looking to know which ones people like or dislike and why....but I will say, I was leaning towards combo's before and after seeing the videos even more now.

thx

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The locks on those cable locks are easily picked with standard picking tools. If you don't want to pick the lock, you can shim fairly easily with a piece cut from a beer can. If you really didn't want to go through that work, I'd just cut the damn cable with a heavy wire cutter/bolt cutter.

They're nothing but show, and won't keep anyone out that really wants it.
    I think you're missing the point... Any kind of gun lock is meant to be an inconvenience not an actual protection device. Such as to protect kids in the household, or a crazy family member that would like to take part in a mass shooting.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    I think you're missing the point... Any kind of gun lock is meant to be an inconvenience not an actual protection device. Such as to protect kids in the household, or a crazy family member that would like to take part in a mass shooting.
    My point is that they'll work up until the point the kids are determined enough to get through them if they want to. Someone that's going to be ready to take part in a mass shooting would have no problem whatsoever defeating those locks.

Sure they'll keep your 7yr old out, but a determined 9 or older would have no problem defeating those locks. Maybe I just look at it differently since I picked my first lock at 9 yrs old, so I know it's possible.

I'm all for adding layers of protection, but I just don't see these things as an adequate layer, it's more of a waste of money and a waste of time if you were to ever need to grab a weapon quickly.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by xdm9 View Post
    I am looking to buy some trigger locks for some of my handguns and long guns. This is not the primary safety measure, but an additional layer.

I am not sure I want key locks or combination locks. I am leaning towards combo's because of the amount of keys I already have to keep track of.

Since I am buying 15 of them, I would rather not find out I dont like them once I get them.

I would be interested in anyone's opinion on what they use and the good and the bad things about them.

Look forward to seeing what is said.

thx,
    -xdm9
    What is the primary safety measure?

I ask because using multi-factor authentication would be the most secure.

In this case it would be something you have as in a key and something you know as in the combination.

So if your primary means to secure your firearms is a combination. I would suggest keys for your trigger lock. There may be a possibility you can order them keyed the same?

If your primary means to secure your firearms is a key. I would suggest combinations for your trigger locks.