Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Proper "fit" question

I know that in the world of pistol shooting, the best gun for you is the one that feels best in the hand. My question is this: Should I be able to reach the controls (mag. release button, slide release lever) without altering my grip at all? I often hear people complain, most recently about the M&P line, that they will drop the mag under recoil. Is this a product of the weapon being too small, or possible incorrect hand placement? The reason I ask is because pistols that feel best in my hand require me to break grip to reach controls (Beretta 92fs) while pistols that allow me to reach everything readily feels too small in my hand and somewhat uncomfortable. Any info would be great, thanks!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Proper "fit" question

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    I know that in the world of pistol shooting, the best gun for you is the one that feels best in the hand. My question is this: Should I be able to reach the controls (mag. release button, slide release lever) without altering my grip at all? I often hear people complain, most recently about the M&P line, that they will drop the mag under recoil. Is this a product of the weapon being too small, or possible incorrect hand placement? The reason I ask is because pistols that feel best in my hand require me to break grip to reach controls (Beretta 92fs) while pistols that allow me to reach everything readily feels too small in my hand and somewhat uncomfortable. Any info would be great, thanks!
    That's one of the world's tough questions. For consistency and accuracy, you would be better if you didn't break the grip. This is of great importance to competition shooters.

But if you are just plinking, it probably doesn't register much. In fact, by breaking grip, and having to start over again, it provides an opportunity to go through the "proper grip, stance, breath -control, sight picture" routine. (Thus improving practice and further ingraining technique)

Six of one, half-a-dozen of another, unless you are already at the competitive levels, I think.

As for the M&P issue, I don't have one, and can hardly address that, but from reading the board it seems that most of those who experience this difficulty overcome it by correctly placing their thumb on the grip, rather than angling it along the slide.

Flash

(Erie County)

How it feels in your hand is actually a small part of what makes the best pistol for you. How it shoots in your hands and your ability to hit accurately and quickly is what makes it best for you. Unfortunately, that is more difficult to tell than just fondling a pistol in a gun shop. Test driving is always the best shopping tool.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a question along these same lines. I bought a ruger gp100 as my first handgun and have found that with my smallish hands I've had to resort to what i've now seen referred to as the "h grip" where the recoil shoulder is resting not on the web of my hand but on the joint of my thumb. I've had some soreness in that joint after shooting and would like to know if this is common or if I need to find a gun that is a better fit for me. I should have probably done the research into this kind of thing beforehand but I guess I got a little overzealous. Which pistols are known to be a good fit for small hands? I would like to do recreational shooting and in good time some idpa type competition so I'd be shooting fairly regularly.

(York County)

You should be able to reach all the vital controls, i.e. the slide stop and the safety (if applicable), without too much altering of your grip, all the while having absolute control of the handgun at all times. If you cant, then you should find a handgun that better suits your hand.

I can reach all the vital controls on ALL of my carry handguns, if i couldnt, i wouldnt be comfortable carrying them.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; August 29th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

The problem with fit for me is I'm left handed. When I purchased my last pistol I really,really wanted to like the H&K's. Unfortunately I didn' care for them at all, I even tried shooting them several times.
    So I went with what felt best in my hand and what performed the best for me, which was a Sig 229 Elite. I do have to switch hands to reload and lock the slide but I'm used to adapting to right handed thing my whole life and as a result I'm almost as good shooting right hand as left.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox from philly View Post
    I have a question along these same lines. I bought a ruger gp100 as my first handgun and have found that with my smallish hands I've had to resort to what i've now seen referred to as the "h grip" where the recoil shoulder is resting not on the web of my hand but on the joint of my thumb. I've had some soreness in that joint after shooting and would like to know if this is common or if I need to find a gun that is a better fit for me. I should have probably done the research into this kind of thing beforehand but I guess I got a little overzealous. Which pistols are known to be a good fit for small hands? I would like to do recreational shooting and in good time some idpa type competition so I'd be shooting fairly regularly.
    Well, in 38SPL, try a "J-Frame" revolver, like a Smith & Wesson Model 36 or one of that line. Taurus 85, Charter Arms Undercover 38, same size. Then maybe a S&W Model 19, round-butt, if you want to try 357's. "K-frame" revolvers, standard grip, and the round-butt was slightly smaller.

Those are about the smallest of the "usual" revolvers.

If you are looking at autos, there are some other options, but often they are available only in 380ACP. Not too many 9mm's that have "small" grips, except there were some older Astra and Star models which were quite compact. If you could find it, the "Astra Constable", I think, was a neat close grip.

Flash

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Not too many 9mm's that have "small" grips, except there were some older Astra and Star models which were quite compact. If you could find it, the "Astra Constable", I think, was a neat close grip.
    Theres the Kahr PM9 and the Kahr MK9. Kahrs are all pretty damn thin. The subcompact models like the PM9 and MK9 define what you would call "small" grips.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

How it feels in your hand is actually a small part of what makes the best pistol for you.

I agree with kpw's assessment. I think too much is made of "how it fits my hand". I've been shooting for over 40 years and I haven't found any quality handgun I can't shoot well after a little getting used to it. That includes DA and SA revolvers, 1911s, DA autos, Glocks, etc. Some guns are easier to handle and some feel better but I feel you can used to any kind of grip if you work at it. If you say "it doesn't fit my hand" and refuse to adapt you most certainly won't fire that gun well.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    How it feels in your hand is actually a small part of what makes the best pistol for you.

I agree with kpw's assessment. I think too much is made of "how it fits my hand". I've been shooting for over 40 years and I haven't found any quality handgun I can't shoot well after a little getting used to it. That includes DA and SA revolvers, 1911s, DA autos, Glocks, etc. Some guns are easier to handle and some feel better but I feel you can used to any kind of grip if you work at it. If you say "it doesn't fit my hand" and refuse to adapt you most certainly won't fire that gun well.

I pretty much agree with that, one can get used to most anything, but can you reach the main controls (mag release, slide stop) without breaking grip or coming off the trigger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast