Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Alloy Receivers... Any Good?

More and more I'm seeing alloy receivers, makes me nervous being I'm a steel person. Does anyone have any pros / cons on them? Looking at the Browning line.
    Jack

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Alloy Receivers... Any Good?

Well, Armalite and Colt put their faith in them in the mid 60's and they've done OK.

Even in the AR10s used in combat by the Portugese in West Africa.

I see by your website of "1927A1"...

Perhaps you have a reticence over the 1927A1C Lightweight?

I have an original Westy 1927A1C. Both the upper and lower are well-done machined alloy, not cast and smoothed. As you know, these 1927A guns are heavy -I knew the upper was alloy, but I discovered by accident that the LOWER was also alloy. It is that well done, IMHO.

I might hesitate to storm the Utah beaches with this obsolete overweight pistol-carbine - but for range use several times a year from now until long after I'm dead, this has been fine by me.

FWIW, the STEEL Westy 1928's were known for battering the tail out their STEEL uppers, but 1927's (steel or alloy) weren't designed for the full-auto battering.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Alloy Receivers... Any Good?

I have the 27 in steel. I agree the Westie 28's were known to tear at the back of the receiver especially if you attempt to increase the rate of fire. Colt, Bridgeport, and Savage Thompson's on the other hand have a much higher quality of steel. The 1st 27's / 28's were actually Colt 21 over stamps. The 27's of the Trast era, and Kahr 27's were never totally functional however with the Kahr having a stronger steel. I had a fair amount of gun smithing done to my 27, and still have a few issues, like extractors, and firing pins breaking. When Kahr bought out AO, they designed the flaws into their CAD program continuing the legacy.

I just wanted a little input because an 06 or 308 have quite a whollop compared to the .45. With the prices of the Browning rifles and shotguns, I would hate to replace receivers in a few years. I do a fair amount of shooting about 4000 rounds of .45 a season.

(I hope the powder, and primer companies get their acts together soon though)
    Jack