Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smaller deer?

Default smaller deer?

for some reason every deer killed from the group i hunt with this year is small. we usually get about 30-40 per year between about 8 of us. this years deer are as big as dogs, maybe a tad bigger. the doe are tiny and the buck aren't really any bigger. what gives?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: smaller deer?

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    for some reason every deer killed from the group i hunt with this year is small. we usually get about 30-40 per year between about 8 of us. this years deer are as big as dogs, maybe a tad bigger. the doe are tiny and the buck aren't really any bigger. what gives?
    Maybe its because your killing 30-40 deer most of which are probably doe's and not giving them any time to grow up?

i dont know? i thought about that. years ago we used to get some monsters, this year only a few and i wouldnt consider them monsters. i think you may be right, i did say something to the guy thats in charge of the group, that we shouldnt take the small ones anymore. im not into shooting little ones. if im going to take the time to dress and butcher, it better be some meat on it. were in chester county by the way. the only time i see a half decent size one is when its laying on the side of the road.

(Adams County)

Are you hunting mountains? or farmland deer?....here in Adams the deer have stayed the same with a few bigger racks.....out in Lawrence county I saw fewer deer during archery but BIG bodies and BIGGER racks! nothing came in range though....and of course rifle season was miserable weather wise, tons of doe and little six points. Where I do most of my hunting in PA there seems to be fewer, but Bigger, and SMARTER deer.

I can't complain. I'm seeing them, good ones, but must be me not doing something wrong not getting them close enough to arrow a heart.

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    Are you hunting mountains? or farmland deer?....here in Adams the deer have stayed the same with a few bigger racks.....out in Lawrence county I saw fewer deer during archery but BIG bodies and BIGGER racks! nothing came in range though....and of course rifle season was miserable weather wise, tons of doe and little six points. Where I do most of my hunting in PA there seems to be fewer, but Bigger, and SMARTER deer.

I can't complain. I'm seeing them, good ones, but must be me not doing something wrong not getting them close enough to arrow a heart.
    were hunting mostly suburban areas, very small partials of land, 10-100 acre.

(Jefferson County)

Trophy hunting doesn't help deer sizes either.. If people are constantly taking the biggest and nicest bucks(or does for that matter) - it takes a good sample out of the gene pool. Every once in a while the smaller and less desirable bucks should be taken over a prize just so the nice one can breed again the next year.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cambria County)

It's GLOBAL WARMING and that law that states that cold weather animals need to be larger than their warm weather counterparts.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Trophy hunting doesn't help deer sizes either.. If people are constantly taking the biggest and nicest bucks(or does for that matter) - it takes a good sample out of the gene pool. Every once in a while the smaller and less desirable bucks should be taken over a prize just so the nice one can breed again the next year.
    oh we do plenty of that, take scraggly looking bucks. as long as their BIG. im not a trophy hunter but i wouldnt pass one up. im really just out for the meat.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    oh we do plenty of that, take scraggly looking bucks. as long as their BIG. im not a trophy hunter but i wouldnt pass one up. im really just out for the meat.
    I take the first heathly legal buck/doe that has the misfortune to walk out in front of my buffalo rifle. For the most part, they have all been average deer. A couple have been small, a couple have been big.. but I dont wait for the trophy to come by, passing up average or lessor deer just for a stupid rack.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I take the first heathly legal buck/doe that has the misfortune to walk out in front of my buffalo rifle. For the most part, they have all been average deer. A couple have been small, a couple have been big.. but I dont wait for the trophy to come by, passing up average or lessor deer just for a stupid rack.
    same way i think...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast