Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Glock 19 Feeding Issues

I purchased a G19 yesterday and went to the range from the shop. Fired about 40 rounds through and the gun jammed. It ejected the spent casing and jammed when it fed a new round into the chamber it got stuck. The round was pushed almost vertical with the nose of the bullet just inside the chamber.

I was shooting Remington 115 grain metal case. The temp was about 25 degrees.

It happend 3 times, each time I reloaded the round and it fed properly. My buddy (long time glock owner)took it apart and noiticed it looked a little dry so we lubed it some and had no issues for the last 20-30 rounds.

I'm just wondering if it just happend because it was fresh from the shop and needed a little oil or maybe just a break-in period.

Thanks for any Info.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Glock 19 Feeding Issues

It's not really possible to give a firm answer, but hopefully this is an isolated problem. I shot 100 rounds of that same ammo today through a G19, no problems at all.

I always strip, clean and lube a new gun before firing. It may have sat in a safe for a long time before it got to you. It might not even be the gun, perhaps you weren't gripping the gun firmly enough on that occasion.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shuey134 View Post
    I purchased a G19 yesterday and went to the range from the shop. Fired about 40 rounds through and the gun jammed. It ejected the spent casing and jammed when it fed a new round into the chamber it got stuck. The round was pushed almost vertical with the nose of the bullet just inside the chamber.

I was shooting Remington 115 grain metal case. The temp was about 25 degrees.

It happend 3 times, each time I reloaded the round and it fed properly. My buddy (long time glock owner)took it apart and noiticed it looked a little dry so we lubed it some and had no issues for the last 20-30 rounds.

I'm just wondering if it just happend because it was fresh from the shop and needed a little oil or maybe just a break-in period.

Thanks for any Info.
    OMG A GLOCK THAT HAD MALFUNCTIONS...

Kidding...Congratulations on your new firearm...it is a great pistol and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Couple of questions for you....
    Is the firearm new or used?
    Did the firearm malfunction while your buddy shot it?
    Is is one of the compensated (ported) models?
    Is this your first pistol?

It is my understanding that Glocks are made to be "run dry". Very little lubrication is needed. I only use a couple of drops on a patch then wipe down the moving parts with it.
    Glocks often will malfunction if one "limp wrists" the firearm. It is my understanding that cambering of the next round requires that the firearm be griped tightly allowing the slide to come back fully and then spring forward. By holding the firearm loosely it can disrupt the cycle of the firearm thus disrupt the chambering of the next round...
    I really like my G19. I have shot whatever kind of ammo I can get the cheapest for practice so the type of ammo should not matter. I did have a friend in Pittsburgh who went shooting with me often. The firearm consistently would malfunction for her. She corrected the problem with a firmer grip....
    hope this helps...
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    OMG A GLOCK THAT HAD MALFUNCTIONS...

Kidding...Congratulations on your new firearm...it is a great pistol and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Couple of questions for you....
    Is the firearm new or used?
    Did the firearm malfunction while your buddy shot it?
    Is is one of the compensated (ported) models?
    Is this your first pistol?

It is my understanding that Glocks are made to be "run dry". Very little lubrication is needed. I only use a couple of drops on a patch then wipe down the moving parts with it.
    Glocks often will malfunction if one "limp wrists" the firearm. It is my understanding that cambering of the next round requires that the firearm be griped tightly allowing the slide to come back fully and then spring forward. By holding the firearm loosely it can disrupt the cycle of the firearm thus disrupt the chambering of the next round...
    I really like my G19. I have shot whatever kind of ammo I can get the cheapest for practice so the type of ammo should not matter. I did have a friend in Pittsburgh who went shooting with me often. The firearm consistently would malfunction for her. She corrected the problem with a firmer grip....
    hope this helps...
    -A
    This is not my first pistol, it was brand new and is not compesated. It malfunctioned once when I was shooting it and twice when my other friend shot it. Maybe I'm not gripping it tight enough. I'll focus more on my grip next time.

Thanks Guys.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shuey134 View Post
    This is not my first pistol, it was brand new and is not compesated. It malfunctioned once when I was shooting it and twice when my other friend shot it. Maybe I'm not gripping it tight enough. I'll focus more on my grip next time.

Thanks Guys.
    Good luck...
    It may have been that the handgun sat for a long time and just needed a little lube...
    Let us know how it shoots the next time you have it out...
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Northumberland County)

If worse comes to worse, shoot me an email. I live just outside of Shamokin and have my Glock Armorers' cert.

If you arent new to shooting a glock, I am going to go with "grip" as well. I have seen many new shooters "limp wrist" a glock.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Philadelphia County)

Glocks are shipped (new) with a special lube that has some copper bits (or what appears to be copper bits) which help with breaking in the gun. You aren't supposed to remove that lubricant.

If you had a malfunction with a brand new glock it was either the ammo or you were limp wristing it. Remington UMC ammo (which is what I am assuming you were using) is total garbage. The extra few bucks for WWB or American Eagle is totally worth it. I have had my G19 for about 1500 rounds and I have yet to have any problems with it.

From the GLOCK FAQ:
    "Glock applies the copper lubricant known as "Fel-Pro", which is an automotive anti-seize compound, to the rear underside area of the slide of all new Glocks. Word is that new Glocks should be "broken in" (200-500 rds) with this copper lubricant.

Certified Glock Armorers are told that it is permissible to remove the copper lubricant on new Glocks. However, if you do decide to remove the copper lubricant, it is advisable to clean your handgun thoroughly then lubricate it before shooting it (3 drops where indicated) with a quality product intended for firearms. "

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Remington UMC ammo (which is what I am assuming you were using) is total garbage. The extra few bucks for WWB or American Eagle is totally worth it.
    i disagree strongly.

i have tens of thousands of UMC rounds through my glocks. i've had, in those tens of thousands of rounds, exactly two problems...two rounds with noticeable bullet setback. the other tens of thousands minus two have all fed, went bang, and extracted just fine.

UMC, WWB, AE, Blazer, etc. are all equally fine for practice rounds. buy whatever is cheapest (making sure, of course, not to buy the blazer non-reloadable stuff if you want to reuse the casings).

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i disagree strongly.

i have tens of thousands of UMC rounds through my glocks. i've had, in those tens of thousands of rounds, exactly two problems...two rounds with noticeable bullet setback. the other tens of thousands minus two have all fed, went bang, and extracted just fine.

UMC, WWB, AE, Blazer, etc. are all equally fine for practice rounds. buy whatever is cheapest (making sure, of course, not to buy the blazer non-reloadable stuff if you want to reuse the casings).
    Yup, I've shot 10k+ of UMC...nothing wrong with it.

Regarding some of the above comments.

Most Glocks CAN run dry, but they certainly run better wet. Lubricating a Glock is a good idea.

The copper lube is just a polishin compound that can help smooth out the trigger pull...it doesn't matter if you remove it or not, it'll polish in without it, just fine.

Glocks are not that really prone to limp wristing either...they're pretty loose, and don't have much friction in the design. Also, limp-wrist induced failures don't really manifest them self in that kind of jam, AFAIK.

Did you try both mags?

My money is on magazine issues.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Yup, I've shot 10k+ of UMC...nothing wrong with it.

Regarding some of the above comments.

Most Glocks CAN run dry, but they certainly run better wet. Lubricating a Glock is a good idea.

The copper lube is just a polishin compound that can help smooth out the trigger pull...it doesn't matter if you remove it or not, it'll polish in without it, just fine.

Glocks are not that really prone to limp wristing either...they're pretty loose, and don't have much friction in the design. Also, limp-wrist induced failures don't really manifest them self in that kind of jam, AFAIK.

Did you try both mags?

My money is on magazine issues.
    I used both mags, but i didn't think about distinguishing between them. I'll do that this weekend when I shoot.

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast