Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default "Ask a Pro-Gunner" Forum?

In a recent thread (http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/4...rry-about.html), a presumably gun-neutral or anti-gun member had some questions regarding gun control, that were mostly met with an overwhelmingly negative response by other members who felt that differing opinions were not welcome on PAFOA.

While I initially supported an open dialogue with anti-gun and gun-neutral folks, in supporting an attempt to win over more people to our cause, a fellow member brought up the point that doing so in the regular flow of business here on the forums would just invite more violently negative attention from many members, not doing much to help our cause.

So, I propose adding a forum to answer anti-gun questions and concerns, and to provide a place to move threads that would probably be otherwise deleted or locked. The rules for replying would be very strict, i.e. no telling anti-gunners that they are spawn of Satan who are working to cause the death of America, etc etc. My thoughts are that this would allow us to address those who honestly have an open mind, while quarantining such threads and posts from the rest of the forums.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

Default Re: "Ask a Pro-Gunner" Forum?

I think it would be a great idea. I think any time that you can engage in civil dialog to educate others you get much further in educating them by treating them respectfully and discussing our differences in opinion.

I have found that the more you listen to their perspective the better armed you become to defeat their "opinion" with the proper facts which are on your side.

We have forgotten what "civil discourse" is in this Country.

(Montgomery County)

I think it's a great idea. Of course it would need heavy moderation, and the rules for posting would need to be concrete for both sides.

I think one of the first rules would need to be statistics need citation. Another would be the type of questions asked "ie no Why r u all small dicked neanderthals wanna be cops/cowboys". No offense to the short dicked Neanderthal wanna be cops/cowboys of the forum.

(Mercer County)

I wonder how many antis want to actually hear our side of the story vs. those who sign up just to be trolls...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    I wonder how many antis want to actually hear our side of the story vs. those who sign up just to be trolls...
    True, but, a more realistic question would be, how many on "our side" would be able to rationally discuss with antis the benefits versus the cons of the 2nd amendment. All too often, when someone poses a position that is not the "norm" for "gun totin" folks, they get verbally assaulted by the vast majority. Would be veerrry interesting to see how well behaved both sides could be.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Schuylkill County)

I can be civil and talk about the constitution. I would welcome being a part of a debate with folks who have questions and have come here to become better informed. I do have concerns that an anti gun person would sign up to post here for any reason other than to troll, but for the benefit of those who want to learn more before making a decision...
    Good Idea

(Philadelphia County)

I think we probably get very, very few anti-gunners looking for a logical debate on here. The whole forum is pretty much an "As a pro-gunner" forum, it's just broken into different sections (each of our forums)
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

I don't think this will work in practice. Telling the truth is always more work than BSing. Trolls can stop by and post nonsense blanket statements quickly and easily, but a thorough refutation takes serious time and effort. It invites people to waste your time.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    mostly met with an overwhelmingly negative response by other members who felt that differing opinions were not welcome on PAFOA.
    They aren't.

People get shouted down if they aren't in line with whatever kind of right wing agenda is being rammed down people's throat. Go look through the political forum.

God forbid you didn't like Sarah Palin or John McCain for any reason, or worse--if you said that Obama is a Hawaii native. People did everything but get out the torches to surround your house.

BTW--still waiting for that evidence.