Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Philosophical discussion on shooting aftermath

This is for philosophical discussion and debate purposes only. Let's say you are walking down the proverbial dark street and the proverbial bad guy shows up and presents deadly force. Maybe a gun, knife, baseball bat, whatever. You are convinced if you do not act immediately you will be either killed or very seriously injured. You can not safely get away and avoid the confrontation. You draw, shoot, and the bad guy is down. Do you:

a) Call 911 because that's what innocent people do. You expect that the responding officers will eventually agree with you that your actions were clearly self defense and you will not be charged. You also understand that by calling you are waiving your 5th Amendment rights to self incrimination but figure that's a necessary evil. You also understand that even if found innocent, you might also face a lengthy and expensive civil defense where you will be tried in civil court and the court of public opinion.

Or do you:
    b) Consider walking away since it appears that there are no witnesses, cameras, or other means of identifying you. You go home and call your attorney to discuss what has happened, and follow his professional advice as to what the next steps should be, if any. If you choose this course of action, do you attempt to obtain anonymous medical help for the bad guy, in the event that he can be saved by timely medical intervention? If you do not, and are later identified somehow, does the fact that you did not call 911 and did not call for medical help weigh heavily against you with authorities?

Again, I am not advocating for any particular position. Just opening the topic for discussion to see how everyone feels about this. Interestingly, when talking with a respected LEO friend about this, his opinion was that with current politics and the court system what it is, he would strongly consider leaving the scene, even as a LEO. His statement surprised me. What do you all think, especially for non-LEO's in this situation?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Philosophical discussion on shooting aftermath

Presuming you have an attorney on speed dial (which contrary to every cop show I've ever seen, most people do not) call them first, but do not leave the scene. Unless you feel there may be more bad guys hiding in the shadows, I can't see how killing someone and fleeing the scene could ever have a favorable outcome.

JMHO.

oblig: IANAL

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Presuming you have an attorney on speed dial (which contrary to every cop show I've ever seen, most people do not) call them first, but do not leave the scene. Unless you feel there may be more bad guys hiding in the shadows, I can't see how killing someone and fleeing the scene could ever have a favorable outcome.

JMHO.

^^^ this^^^

You want to call asap. When they arrive just say you feared for your life and request medical attention. Don't say anything more until you calm down/talk to your attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post

JMHO.

2nd vote for this^^^^
    Leaving the scene is not going to look good regardless of how justified you were to shoot.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

(Susquehanna County)

Whether your attacker is dead or not call 911 and your attorney (might be a good idea to put his number in your contacts list) though I'll leave the order of the calls up to you. When police arrive follow their direction exactly! But, make no comment beyond presenting the necessary documents to establish your identity. Do not waive your right to counsel and say nothing further until you attorney arrives and can consult with you.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

If your going to leave the scene, take his wallet, sneakers and cellphone, any jewelry, drugs he might have, and his weapon. Call it just compensation for expending ammunition.

Makes about as much sense as leaving the scene in the first place unless there are more people whom may assault you and you need to make a tactical retreat, but first thing you do is call the police.

Call 911 and tell them there was an assault and some one was shot, you need police and an ambulance. Remember, the first person to call the police is the one they will be listening to. Call your lawyer or google Phil Kline.
    When the police arrive, Lay your weapon on the ground, taske 3 steps back, place both hands on your head and kneel. Then tell them loudly that you are recording this, You were assaulted, and you were the one whom called for assistance, You need medical attention and you will make a statement to them in the presence of a lawyer. Then shut the hell up.

Massad Ayoob wrote a book about it. worth a look.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; November 5th, 2015 at 07:18 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Cambria County)

I think it would be important to swiftly move to a secure location. You don't know what kind of relationships the threat has in that area. You may have just killed someone's brother/best friend/etc. It is common sense to not want to hang out 'at the scene', that's just hollywood cop jargon. Get out, get somewhere safe, ask a bystander to call 911 while you contact an attorney.

ETA, pick up your brass before you leave because littering is a crime.

(Someone pass the popcorn)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post

Call 911 and tell them there was an assault and some one was shot, you need police and an ambulance. Remember, the first person to call the police is the one they will be listening to. Call your lawyer or google Phil Kline.
    When the police arrive, Lay your weapon on the ground, taske 3 steps back, place both hands on your head and kneel. Then tell them loudly that you are recording this, You were assaulted, and you were the one whom called for assistance, You need medical attention and you will make a statement to them in the presence of a lawyer. Then shut the hell up.

Massad Ayoob wrote a book about it. worth a look.
    Unless your attorney can get there before the police, I would recommend calling 911 first and then your lawyer.

(Wayne County)

Call 911.....tell the dispatcher..a stranger attacked me with a weapon and i shot him/her, I placed my gun on the ground please send an ambulance and police. Lay your gun on the ground, When the police arrive kneel down and put your hands on your head, You were the one who called so they'll listen to you. Tell the police what happened...you were walking down the alley when a stranger attacked you with a weapon and show the police his/her weapon. Tell the police you shot him in self defence and your gun is right there on the ground. If they decide to file charges then contact an attorney.

(Wayne County)

All of the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast