Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default I am a caliber odd-ball.....

OK, so I am a caliber odd-ball.....
    Was cleaning my firearms and realized that my (small) collection was devoid of any of the typical, traditional, and popular calibers. (except one - for the AK)

Each caliber has it place and I am happy with them. I guess that is what counts.

Anybody out there shoot a REALLY unusual caliber?
    Last edited by Hokkmike; April 26th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I am a caliber odd-ball.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    OK, so I am a caliber odd-ball.....
    Was cleaning my firearms and realized that my (small) collection was devoid of any of the typical, traditional, and popular calibers. (except one - for the AK)

Each caliber has it place and I am happy with them. I guess that is what counts.

Anybody out there shoot a REALLY unusual caliber?
    I'd say the two oddballs in my firearms family are the .22WMR Harrington & Richardson revolver which isn't all that rare and the Nagant pistol that fires a really strange round.

I like the .32's. Anything from a .32 Auto to the .327 Federal Mag. I even shoot a .32-20. On the other hand, I like the .41 Mag.

(Montgomery County)

I dumped my odd-ball caliber guns quite a while ago, mainly because I don't reload. If you don't reload, you will find that most odd-ball calibers tend to be more expensive. I'm almost sorry I sold my S&W 657 because it was so damn accurate and had such a sweet trigger. I'd like to start reloading, so maybe I'll pick up an odd-ball or two one day.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(York County)

.50AE puts a pretty big smile on my face every time I pull the trigger. Just wish I could afford to shoot it more than once or twice a year.

(Jefferson County)

I like odd-ball stuff. I too have a fondness for .32caliber handguns and rifles.

These really aren't common these days - .32WinSpl, .32S&W Short and Long, .32H&R Mag, .38S&W, .22Hornet, .225Win, .44spl, .45-120(modern loads, AKA "Sharps Express"). And a couple Ackley Improved chambers - .22Hornet-K and .223Rem AI.

I absolutely love 28ga shotguns. There are 1oz factory loads that equal 12 and 16 gauge payloads - in a much tighter shot column. I try to hit the turkey shoots that carry 28ga shells because the payloads for those shells are usually the same as a 20ga, but you're shooting a tighter column so you improve your odds on hitting the X with a pellet. Its like shooting an Extra-Super-Turkey choke on a 20ga if there was ever such a choke for a 20ga.

My dad's .32 Long rimfire Stevens Favorite is probably my absolute favorite gun to shoot. Low pressure so it is reasonably quiet for guns, very accurate, but very expensive to shoot since they haven't made .32 rimfire in many many years.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

I shoot a few odd-balls.

The strangest one is British .455/577 Boxer. That goes in a Martini-Henry single-shot drop-block lever action rifle. Think the movie "Zulu".

I have several revolvers in .455 Webley MK-6 calibre and a few Webley and Enfield revolvers in British .380 revolver. The case is a .38 S&W but the bullet weight is a potent 200 Gr. instead of the anemic 146 or so Gr. of the American round.

.303 British out of various Enfield rifles is a favorite. However nothing beats a .560 some Gr. .715 round ball pushed by 100 grains of 2F black powder out of a Brown Bess officers fusil for cool!

Btw, are you seeing a nationality trend there? HuzzaH!

(Mercer County)

I shoot these calibers which might be considered odd-ball:
    50-90 Sharps, .44-40, 38-55 Winchester, 600 Nitro Express, 416 Rigby, .400 Whelen. 505 Gibbs, .44 Automag, & .221 Fireball.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Montgomery County)

Like Scots Guards I too, have a penchant for UK weapons. So 0.455 Webley and my own 380/180 rather than 380/200 for the Enfields, Mk IV Webleys and S&W Model 11s and their predecessors.. Add to these 30 Mauser for a couple of C96s and then 41 Special (and I do have the correct head stamped cases). Dave_n

Looks like I am the only one with 6.5 Grendel. According to the guys at work the 45-70 is odd. 7.62 Nagant.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast