Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default NRA Instructor Cert fees?

I'm attending NRA classes this coming weekend (Basic Instructor, Rifle Instructor, Pistol Instructor, Shotgun Instructor, and RSO. all NRA cert classes)

Yes those are the correct prices, it is being put on by the local Boy Scout Council. (These classes are required to take the boys shooting and to earn shooting merit badges)

The price for the class was listed as:

BI $40, RI $35, PI $35, SI $35, RSO $25
    These prices include camping and meals.
    It also says to bring a separate check to Mail to the NRA for "course Credentials"

I called and asked what it meant and was told there will be an added fee for certification, the listed prices just cover meals camping and course materials.
    I asked him how much more was needed, and was told it varies by course, and is cheaper if you're an NRA member. No definitive answer...

So my question is, Anyone know how much the "Course Credentials" are for the above courses for an NRA member?

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: NRA Instructor Cert fees?

They are not much. RSO is $6 for NRA member. Sorry I don't have the others.
    It seems you got a really good deal on the class prices.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    It seems you got a really good deal on the class prices.
    Yep, I've been looking into these classes for a while so I could sign up to be a councilor and make it easier for scouts in my area to get their badges. Right now their pretty much limited to getting them at summer camp. I'm gonna try to get the Gun club I belong to to sponsor Merit Badge shoots, that way the kids will have more free time at summer camp to work on other badges. (rifle and shotgun badges take up alot of the week, some of the scouts don't get it finished in time)

Amazingly our council is having these for what seems to be cost of materials. I think the reason it is so cheap is to get a few people certified so the scouts have a chance to earn their Merit Badges. Boy Scouts is a little strict on some things, and rightfully so, shooting sports is one of them!

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by Jake Mc.; April 29th, 2009 at 07:44 AM.

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Allegheny County)

I did not get into the instructor end. I applaud your efforts though. Youth is the future of shooting sports. If your club knows what's best for it's survival in the future, it would jump at the chance of having something like this. You need to get some other club members that are like-minded to help out and you will find it good for the scouts and the club.
    Best of Luck.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(York County)

wish I could find someone local that would run the entire instructor course schedule like that, especially at those prices.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    wish I could find someone local that would run the entire instructor course schedule like that, especially at those prices.
    Become an Adult Leader with your local Boy Scout Troop and bug the crap out of your local Council until the get a class in your area cheap!

PM sent.

The fees are GREAT!

You will need the INSTRUCTOR classes to conduct BSA merit badges. Also, with the RSO you could open a range (at winter camp) for the scouts to use.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by radnor View Post
    PM sent.

The fees are GREAT!

You will need the INSTRUCTOR classes to conduct BSA merit badges. Also, with the RSO you could open a range (at winter camp) for the scouts to use.

Right, I've been trying to get the classes for a while just to get the Scouts more oppertunity to shoot. I live only about 6 miles from the local Scout Camp and am pretty good friends with the Ranger. We have plans of doing shoots a little more often than that. I'm also trying to get my gun club to put scout shoots together.

I just wish they could have had the classes at the local Camp instead of the one 30 mi away!!

The timeframe you PM'd me puts me at camp taking the classes (no cell service) thanks though!

Yeah, we're starting ours at noon tomorrow (Fri) and run til done on Sunday. You'll know the cert fees at that time. It will be in all of the packets.

Your camp, 30 miles from home?!? Wanna trade???? I'm driving 100 miles to assist with these classes.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by radnor View Post
    Yeah, we're starting ours at noon tomorrow (Fri) and run til done on Sunday. You'll know the cert fees at that time. It will be in all of the packets.

Your camp, 30 miles from home?!? Wanna trade???? I'm driving 100 miles to assist with these classes.
    As long as they're not more than $40 -$50 total, I'm good.

Oh ya, 30 miles don't sound so bad after all. NO TRADE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast